How to Query/Store Compact/Control Logix PLC Data to a SQL Database

wanher3

Hello,

For my general information and knowledge, how is querying and storing data from a AB PLC (Compact or Control Logix) typically accomplished ? Are there any additional 3rd party database access layers used for this ?

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=97182

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=72947

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=83035

Above are a couple of links around the same topic.
I would also look at AdvancedHMI. This was written in VB.Net and runs on visual studio. Connecting and updating databases is something visual does well.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/

Regards,

So, it appears that all solutions mentioned in your reply work well for a Ignition application or for a ControlLogix processor or FTView SE (using VBA).
What if an application used a CompactLogix processor with a PanelView HMI (FTView ME) ?

The answer is the same. :)

How can it be the same ?

1. It wouldn't be able to run the Ignition bridge module on a PanelView.
2. There is no VBA in FTView ME so it's not possible to use Factory Transaction Manager.
3. the OLDI module is only ControlLogix compatible and is not compactLogix compatible as it requires a back plane chassis connection; CompactLogix modules interconnect on the compact bus.

Last edited:
It's the same because the vast majority of Ignition and FTTM installs are not on the same PC as anything running SE (VBA is not a requirement in any case). If memory serves, the Oldi has a standalone version that doesn't require a ControlLogix rack.

It's the same because the vast majority of Ignition and FTTM installs are not on the same PC as anything running SE (VBA is not a requirement in any case). If memory serves, the Oldi has a standalone version that doesn't require a ControlLogix rack.

1. Why wouldn't VBA be required? In the case where a recipe is to be loaded, you would want some sort of VBA or script to run when a button is pressed and usind FTView ME (with no VBA) this would not be possible. How would it work on a PanelView ?

2. Are you saying in the case a PanelView is used, there would be the need to add a dedicated PC on the network for performing data querying/storing ? What would be the typical architecture with a PanelView ?

3. Would mind sending over the link to the Stand alone version of Oldi you are referring to ? I do not seem to find it anywhere and only see the contollogix version.

Last edited:
You mite want check this out
they have a none OPC driver that works directly from VB, Excel, Net Studio and others
I am sure that they have what you need

I've outfitted a number of large factories with middleware systems that consists of custom written windows services and direct drivers to communicate with the PLC. The services also have a component to connect to various databases. Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle 10g/11g, PostgreSQL etc. It's basically a three tier system, PLC/middleware/database. If you have a basic network/server infrastructure you could build a simple system similar to this. You would need visual studio, a direct driver to talk to the PLC. I wrote my own drivers, but you can buy them with support agreements. Cimquest Ingear for example. Then just learn how to connect to the database with VB.net or C#(millions of examples for this) and your're pretty far along. Good luck.

1. Why wouldn't VBA be required? In the case where a recipe is to be loaded, you would want some sort of VBA or script to run when a button is pressed and usind FTView ME (with no VBA) this would not be possible. How would it work on a PanelView ?
Been a while for FTTM, but all scripting is done through Ignition. Monitor for the Index of the recipe, and pull data from the database based on that index.

Another example: we run things based off production orders. When production orders are picked from the ERP, the ERP makes files with the BOM for that order. Those are processed by Ignition, then passed down to the PLC in a UDT array. The PanelView just shows the order number and part number in a list component.

There a quite a few different ways to accomplish what you're asking.

2. Are you saying in the case a PanelView is used, there would be the need to add a dedicated PC on the network for performing data querying/storing ? What would be the typical architecture with a PanelView ?
While you certainly could, you don't need to. Inductive has a nice graphical page showing architectures, regardless of what you end up running with.
https://inductiveautomation.com/ignition/architectures

3. Would mind sending over the link to the Stand alone version of Oldi you are referring to ? I do not seem to find it anywhere and only see the contollogix version.
Huh. I can't seem to find it either. Admittedly, my information may be out of date. I was going through what you are right now about ten years ago. Products seem to come and go all the time. šŸ™ƒ

Just browsing through all the links, is Transaction Manager still considered rather painful to use?

Personally, I found the installation was not 100% fuss free, also a bit of a learning curve because of inadequate manuals.

Huh. I can't seem to find it either. Admittedly, my information may be out of date. I was going through what you are right now about ten years ago. Products seem to come and go all the time. šŸ™ƒ

It's changed hands - Softing tManager Applicance

It would need to sit in its own 4-slot CLX rack. Can connect up to 16 controllers and could pull information from ControlLogix, CompactLogix, SLC, PLC5, MircoLogix, FlexLogix, Siemens, Schneider

1. Why wouldn't VBA be required? In the case where a recipe is to be loaded, you would want some sort of VBA or script to run when a button is pressed and using FTView ME (with no VBA) this would not be possible. How would it work on a PanelView ?

Keep in mind PanelViews are dumb, so you need something else to do the heavy lifting, like SQL Bridge from Ignition.

The panelview would need to trigger logic in the PLC to request a list of recipes from the SQL Server. Ignition reads the PLC trigger, fetches recipe names and since it's a Panelview, the PLC would have to store the results of recipe names in a string array. Panelview reads the PLC recipe name array.

The operator selects the recipe they want from the PLC string array, once selected the Panelview sets a trigger in the PLC, Ignition reads the trigger and fetches selected recipe data. Stores it in the PLC and displays the information for the Panelview.