Anyone familiar with Thingworx?

surferb

Lifetime Supporting Member
Some time has passed since this thread about Thingworx. Any update in light of news of the Rockwell $1B investment in PTC. This video glazes over it.

It looks like FactoryTalk Innovation Suite integrates Thingworx, Kepware and others under the Rockwell umbrella.

My question - does Thingworx play nicely in the IIoT space with other vendors? Is it MQTT compatible? Can it still stand alone, or now just an integrated component of the latest FactoryTalk flavor? Rockwell only now?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Last edited:
I was looking at this for a potential client at the same time the Rockwell/PTC investment. Looks like a slick product but it's expensive!! I had a demo up and running to play with, and it wasn't very straight forward, and trying to find support was lackluster. Want you to sign up and suck you in.

IIRC I found a youtube talking about MQTT with Thingworks. PTC acquired Kepware if you didn't know. It feels like a stand-alone product but who knows with Rockwell. I don't quite understand how this product fits in with Rockwell's other visualization products. I was at TechEd and watched the live presentations of this integration and I completely missed the value because all I saw were $$$$$$$$$$ with all the software products they were promoting.

We tried to get additional information on the product, what development licensing a Systems Integrator would need to create a project. Needless to say once they heard "SI" they tried to push a partnership on us when we were simply trying to figure out if the project would be feasible within our business. Our technical inquires resulted in no returned phone calls and a general sense that technical knowledge was limited.

I’m tracking the 2016 PTC acquisition of Kepware. They’ve been selling KepServer Ex still as a stand alone OPC Server...nice product...wondering if the Rockwell/PTC relationship might impact that.

PTC seems to acquire lots of products for integration under the umbrella.

One ThingWorx feature that seems interesting is the analytics and predictive modeling.

My last job went in on ThingWorx in late 2017. Our IT group assured us that it was super easy to use, they'd support all the needs at the plant, etc. It worked really well if you were just pulling a value from a PLC and displaying it in a Mashup. Anything more involved and they were writing a ton of JavaScript to handle the preprocessing. I was not exceptionally impressed. They also pushed a subscription model for the software instead of purchase + maintenance. I wasn't exposed to any of the numbers, but I got the feeling that it was definitely not cheap. We did not get into any of the analytics or modeling before I left.

I looked at it and if I remember correctly you were looking at 60-100k a year for a "server" license.