MicroLogix 1000 Terminal Screws AARG!

Scooter

I was working with a couple of AB MicroLogix 1000 plc's on some machines that I was tasked to modify the programming and wiring.

I found that on both of the plc's the terminal screws were very tight.
I do not mean "tight" as if I could not break them loose, but "tight" as in the entire thread. I bent my "free" distibutor mini screwdriver and had to upgrade to my Klien. (does anyone make a mini impact tool?)

Anyway, Is this normal for the 1000's or am I getting weaker in my middle age?

It sounds like that at some time in the past, somebody over-torqued (is that a word?) the little buggers. Once the threads are "stretched", they'll never be the same.

it's more like URRRRGH....

Your experience matches my own; I always have to get out a medium Phillips screwdriver to work on the terminal strips on a MicroLogix 1000. I'm sure it's intentional; the Micro meets some startling vibration specifications and the tight screws are necessary to keep the wiring in place when the controller is shaking around.

True Story: I had a customer tell me that he needed a programming terminal for what he thought was an Allen-Bradley SLC-150. I asked him for the part number and he said he couldn't read it. You mean the ink is faded or the label is dirty or corroded ? No, it was on a hammer mill machine and was shaking so violently (and had been for 8 years) that they couldn't read the label !

I could believe that, seen similar. Also seen a PLC5 rack that wouldnt hold the I/O cards tight in the rack, caused innumerable problems and months to figure out.

You live and learn...of course I would like it when its TIGHT.

I like my screws like I like my woman.

Oh, forgot that I was an engineer there for a second.

fixed quote: I'll take anything that I can get.