PLC 5-15 Error Msg

clarkec

Hi,
Recently when making some online changes to a 5-15 (program mode), I started getting this error and can no longer edit anything. The error is:

Rung could not be inserted into online processor!
Insert Instruction Failed: Ext Sts = 0x06
Illegal Address

It doesn't matter what I try to edit or insert... I get the same message. It can be a non-existing bit (b3/118) or an existing one... etc.

I have 4600 words free in a 15k word plc so i don't think memory is the issue.

Any ideas out there?

I have gotten a similar message when trying to insert memory addresses that do not exist in the data table. Like a timer. If timers t4:0-9 are created offline, and I try to use t4:10, it won't let me. On line programming will not allow the creation and use of memory addresses that do not already exist in the data table. You can create addresses only in the program mode. I don't know if that's what's going on with you, but I learned about it the hard way.

Thanks for your reply. That's not what is happening here. I can try to insert a rung with nothing but a JSR to an existing Ladder file and I still get the error.

Any other ideas out there? (Allen-Bradley is stumped!)

Sounds like something's corrupted somewhere, either in the PLC or the program.

I don't know if you've tried this, but what I'd do at this point (if you are sure that there's 4600 words left) is
  1. Upload from the PLC a fresh program (move the original to a different folder just to avoid contamination).
  2. Once it's uploaded, SaveAs the whole program as a library file (.PC5).
  3. Open the .PC5 file in notepad, and visually inspect that file for odd looking code. Don't spend alot of time on this, if there's something wrong, it'll either jump out, or the next step will find it.
  4. Export the database on the "Good" file.
  5. Create a new file (again). Import the .PC5 file, and the annotation. (The data tables are stored in the .PC5, in case you were concerned). Save
  6. This file should be free of all corruption (check the import logs for errors). Download it to the PLC.
  7. You might even want to really wipe the PLC's memory before starting, by removing power, pulling the battery, and shorting the battery contacts for a minute or two. You probably don't have to, since the first instruction of the download is "Wipe Memory" (which is why the processor faults), but after all this, it can't hurt

I have the vague impression I've seen he same error before, but it was years ago. Something about using AI, and running out of memory on my PC, I think. If I got the message, I'd have to shut down and reboot.

Last edited: