Any AB PLC5 experts in Spain or willing to travel to Spain ?

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
A customer of mine has a problem.
His AB PLC5 1785-L40E is faulted, and the plant is at standstill. He cannot get online to diagnose the fault (see this thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=133801).
In my company we dont have any free service person available to send to this customer.

So there is a job open to go to this customer as soon as possible.
I will arrange for that there is a spare 1785-L40E CPU onsite in case the CPU has to be replaced.
The requirements are:
  • Proficiency in AB PLC5.
  • Proficiency in AB RSLogix 5.
  • Has AB RSLogix 5 for going online with the PLC.

Anyone interested, PM me.

I mean, I don't know that I'd call myself an expert on PLC5's, but I work with them here and there, and I'd happily travel to Spain if someone was going to pay for my airfare from upside down world...

Can they get a PC/laptop with internet and have it connected to the PLC? I can get Logix 5 onto that computer, if so. The trick here is that they would need 2 Ethernet interfaces: one for internet (usually WiFi), and one for the PLC (hard-wired), although a serial connection to the PLC would be better.

@ASF, it is up to how desperate the customer is. Let us wait a day or two.

@sigmadelta, Remote in to a PC with RSLogix5 could be possible, but if someone has RSLogix5 I prefer to have the guy with RSLogix5 going onsite.
We dont have an RSLogix5 PC to send, and as far as I know you cannot download a trial of RSLogix5 from Rockwells website.
Serial or DH+ is also possible, but that takes even more effort which I am vary of without someone competent onsite.

Another bad news is that there is a DH+ connection from a database PC with RSLinx as OPC server, and this PC can see other PLCs, but not this PLC.
It is a sign that the PLC5 CPU is toasted.

Jesper, I have an old collegue that lives in Spain, I worked with him in the late 90's over there on a plant near Zarragossa, I know he did have PLC5 software as that was what we were using, not spoke to him for a couple of years so not sure what he is doing now but do know he is still there as he likes fishing on the Ebro river.

@Jesper_MP: if my kids weren't sick I'd be willing to go... it's just bad timing.

The RS-232 serial cable is part# 1784-CP10, and I found a useful link here describing how to set or check the PLC serial port switch setting (just in case it's needed):
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=32649

It looks like this CPU has the capability of setting the IP address via BOOTP (I've done this on other CPUs from a PC), so it is possible to set an IP without the need of a serial cable.

If they can get a PC on the internet and connected to the CPU (either the existing or a replacement one), the IP could be set over Ethernet, and the program loaded (if a backup program file exists). I think the CPU backup battery should also be changed out.

Can they take a picture or video of the error LEDs?

The LED status is:
PROC constant lit red color.
CH1A and CH1B are both off, despite them being connected to DH+ and RIO.
ENET STAT flashes red occasionally.
All of the above is pretty bad.

They have tried to load the program from the EEPROM, but no success.
I think the issue is that either the CPU, or the PSU, or the chassis is toasted.
The CH0 is set to RS422, so to go online via CH0 would require removing the CPU from the chassis and setting the switches for RS232. edit: This is definitely an option if there is no hardware available to go online via DH+.

As I see it, the CPU most likely has to be replaced. Or maybe the PSU or the Chassis - but less likely.
I need mostly the guy to come to make sure that swapping the CPU and programs goes without problems, and if there are any problems troubleshooting these.
And the most safe way is if he has RSLogix and online hardware for DH+.

Last edited:
@sigmadelta
They have not informed me how they have attempted to load the EPROM.
We usually have the switches 6 and 7 set to ON and ON, so the EPROM will be loaded by memory error. I assume they have removed the backup battery and waited a couple of minutes after powering down before powering up again.
Switch 8 is always OFF.
I can suggest that the try to force loading the EPROM as you described by setting the switches 6 and 7 to OFF and OFF.

Stand down !

I just got the feedback from the customer that they managed to source a 1785-L40E CPU, and when they plugged it in with the EPROM installed, it started right up.

I hope they take this as a hint that they ought to upgrade their entire control system.

Thanks to everyone that participated.

:site:

PS: The first thing they should do is upload from the CPU using Logix 5, and also convert their backup to Logix 5 if it's not in Logix 5 format already. If they have a backup in that old AB 6200 DOS sw, I think I can convert it. It's a good idea because it should have the documentation too.

We do have the program in RSLogix already. We keep backups that goes all the way back to when the project was commissioned. Started out as 6200 and was converted to RSLogix at some time.

They purchased 6200 all the way back when the project was started around 1995. It is still good enough for troubleshooting and such, if they can get online that is.
This is a case where they haven't touched it in decades, and when they actually need it because of ann emergency situation they run into so many problems that it is not realistic. There is also the risk of them seriously effing things up.

I hope they eventually go for the upgrade, maybe we need some assistance by then .. :)

Last edited: