PLC Simulator

tpal79

How do I give a name for inputs, coils and registers on the simulator? I've tried every naming convention and just cannot get it.

Dear tpa179, please note the following post, which came in about six minutes before yours. Note especially the level of detail provided by the OP, which helps anyone reading the query to provide a solution.

Using RSLogix 5000 version 20.05 with a 1769-IF8 analog card set to 4ma-20ms which is set to engineering units with a 10hz filter. I am wondering if the is a way to grab a min/max value from the signal coming in?

Now look at your post:

How do I give a name for inputs, coils and registers on the simulator? I've tried every naming convention and just cannot get it.

Which simulator? Which PLC is being simulated? Which manufacturer? Which programming environment?

There are probably a dozen or more PLC manufacturers, with hundreds of PLCs simulated in various environments, plus there is the PLCs.net plcsimulator.net itself. Nobody can provide a useful answer to such a query without those data and possibly much more. I suggest reading this post before trying again:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=199757&postcount=1

One of the biggest mistakes we all continue to make is thinking that we, and our thoughts, are normative.

At least for AB 5K, I name all my variables IN_XXX, AIN_XXX, OUT_XXX and AOUT_XXX.
E.g. IN_[P&ID#]_[TYPE(e.g. LS,ZSC, ZSO, whatever)].
This makes for easy Excel replacement of variables between emulated program and real IO program. Also makes commissioning IO check much easier because you can focus on real IO by sorting on one of the four types.
This requires use of Aliases. Use Aliases. Tie your real IO to anything but an Alias and you put yourself into a pickle for AB simulator. Don't do that. Use Aliasing and IN, OUT, AIN, AOUT and you've pretty much covered 99% of IO you'll encounter. Network IO notwithstanding.

Last edited: