Slc 150

Brian Crouch

I am building a simple cutting and drilling machine bwhich requires the use of a stepper motor . Can I use an Alan Bradley SLC 150 to control it ? I do not know a lot about PLC s but I do know that I need to have a PTO (pulse train Output ) feature to operate the stepper . The stepper is a Superior Electric Slo Syn and I have been informed that the microlgix will do the job.
I happen to have an SLC 150 on the shelf and since it is a capital project I want to keep the cost down. I also must add a touch screen to the machine . Can you interface a touchscreen with an SLC150?
I would be extremely grateful if someone could answer my questions.
Brian Crouch :rolleyes:

You will have far better results with a Micrologix. It has built in pulse train output functionality. And almost unlimited operator interface connectivity options.

SLC150's are very limited in ability and no touchscreen will easily connect.
There is a device called a TCAT that will allow operator access to the data files but these are also limited in operator friendliness, basically the operator must know the address of the data that he needs to modify; there is no customization.

The Micrologix seems to be ideal for what you are trying to do.

SLC 150

I would also recommend going with a Micrologix. I don't know of any interface that will work with a SLC 150. The other thing you need to keep in mind is that the programming software for the SLC 150 is a DOS based program and what type of computer are you going to keep in order to be able to communicate with the unit. The unit is also no longer being manufactured. The other thing to keep in mind is that you need to use a Micrologix 1200 or 1500 if you want a pulse train output, not the 1000.

Last edited: