B&R system 2003. How to diagnose and/or download.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I find myself in the situation, that a subsupliers PLC just dont want to talk with the same subsupliers HMI PC. The PLC may be dead for that matter, but I cannot know for sure.

I have no idea what the problem is, apart from that the following LEDs on the CPU display like this:
ERR: ON
RUN: ON
RDY: ON
MODE: OFF

I believe that "RDY" means that the PLC is in "service mode" which again means it is faulted. Then why is it also in RUN mode ??

There is an ethernet module in the "rack". I do have the Automation Studio software for the B&R PLC, but a further complication is that I do not have a serial port on the laptop where the software is installed (hey - I didnt count on getting in this situation).
Can I connect via Ethernet to troubleshoot the problem ?

I also think I can locate a a backup of the program. One of the possible causes is maybe that the program ahs been lost. As far as I have heard, these PLCs have battery backed memory only.

The software is impossible to navigate for me, and the time is preciously short.

Can someone walk me thru
1. getting online via the ethernet module.
2. diagnosing the problem
3. downloading the program

Oh by the way, all support and service personnel of the subsupplier is unreachable at this time, that is why I am looking for help from any source. What a situation.

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP WITH THIS MATTER.

Jesper,
Here is a link to the B&R System 2003 Remote I/O User Manual. It is 33.4 Megabytes for the English version. I tried to download it for you, but it kept hanging up. I planned to study the manual and find out what the LEDs mean. A brochure on the site said: "Clearly arranged diagnostic LEDs have been implemented to indicate the controller’s status." Yeah, right, if you only knew what they meant!

I am not sure if you have to be a registered user to download from that site. Apparently, only B&R customers are allowed to be registered users. If so, this is an excellent reason NEVER to become a B&R equipment user!

http://www.br-automation.com/cps/rde/xchg/br-productcatalogue/hs.xsl/services_66571_ENG_HTML.htm

Last edited:
I tried to download the manual, but it would take several hours for the 33MB file, so I couldnt wait for it. Thanks anyway Lancie :)

The problem was twofold:

1st, the direct ethernet cable connection was not crossed. A switch fixed that.

2nd, I was lucky that I could get in touch with a person who knew the system well. He walked me through the use of the program.
Getting online, it turned out that the program had indeed been lost.
After downloading it again everything worked as expected.

A PLC without nonvolatile memory backup, now THAT is a reason for excluding it. There is some memory card option with this PLC, but I have been informed it does not work reliably.

Probably better to link here: https://www.br-automation.com/en-au...systems/system-2003/system-2003-users-manual/

Also, all B&R PLCs use CF cards or CFast cards now except for a few that use internal flash memory, so this hasn't been an issue with B&R for 20 years or so. The 2003 system, despite it's name, came out in 1995. System 2000 came out in 1992, System 2005 came out in 2000. I've been lucky enough to never have to do anything older than a PowerPanel 220 (from 2003), which is pretty modern, with ethernet and whatnot.

Hello there, I am very new to B&R. My biggest concern so far is that why it takes forever for automation studio to compile? I am using a trial version and If i have a program with even a single line of code it takes forever to build configuration. I do have a power panel though. When my project has only a VC component, it builds configuration in few seconds....I am confused to what I'm doing wrong to have such a long build configuration time>>> PLEASE GUIDE ME!!