usb port configuration

The Keyspan USA-19HS works very well ;)

You can search here, there have been threads before about it

Also I sell them :)
Mark

Once you find which port is assigned to the adapter, go to RSLinx ,Click on Communications tab, scroll down to "Configure Drivers", find the box "Available driver types" click on drop down arrow, then select a RS232-DF1 type, click "Add New" button, then configure it to the comm port assigned to the USB Adapter. You may have to set the baud rate manually, sometimes the Auto Configure won't work.

I think it may be more then just the configuration, some adapters just suck and others are very good, they are also very dependent on your PC, some adapters work well with one brand of PC's others will not.

Some 5.99 USB adapters work (I have tried them) with my Dell but I have also tried that same adapter with my e-machine and .... nothing.

yes I used my ab usb adapter to program an 1100 here on my desk. it does work long enough to assign an ip address then I switch to ethernet because my connection drops intermittently quite a bit with the usb adapter for some reason.

I have used a Belkin F5U409 adaptor with my Dell laptop with no problems. Although I have also tried the Radio Shack adaptor and it was just terrible.

USB/Serial adapters really can be a crapshoot. I don't want to use anything that lacks the FTDI chipset, which is most of the <$20 USD units.

The gold standard is the Keyspan USA-19HS. I have five or six other brand units crammed into boxes and drawers, but the Keyspan rides in my network troubleshooting toolbox.