Compact Logix I/O Not Responding

The Plc Kid

What would cause a compact logix system that appears to be running fine have a I/O not responding light on the processor display in logix 5000. This light is flashing.

I would think if there were an i/o problem that it would be a major fault and not run?

Communications can cause an I/O fault. For example, if there is a connection between setup between 2 processors and they are currently not communicating. Also, if there are VFD's on a network (Ethernet or Controlnet) and one of them is powered off you will get an I/O fault also.

We have several processors talking to each other as well as many drives.All ethernet but everthing is communicating or it would not run because of the way it is setup.

Everything is talking/running fine. That is what is bothering me so much about it. Nothing is powered off or faulted.

Get online with it and look in the I/O tree. You should see something.

If you look at the properties of your I/O cards, they have a revision that you can select. You will also see an option to select "keying". I believe that if you have it set to "exact match" and they don't match, you will get a fault. They still tend to work though. It's just a minor fault.

We set ours to "Compatible"