A Free HMI with Eye Catching Graphics is Now Available

Very cool Archie!

Extremely nice graphics!

I've been following your project with interest from the beginning, toying with VB myself.

I have a couple of suggestions:
A guide on how to log data to SQL
Ethernet/IP protocol! ;)

nettogrisen said:
I have a couple of suggestions:
A guide on how to log data to SQL
Ethernet/IP protocol! ;)
Logging to SQL is a little more advanced, but I will eventually cover it. Unfortunately it will not be able to be done with the free version of VB because that version only supports Access databases.

Ethernet/IP is probably the next protocol to get implemented. Unfortuantely writing protocols from scratch takes months to write and debug.

FYI to everyone.... I put an update with some minor bug fixes. If you are going to use other than T4:0 or C5:0 (e.g T4:5), then you will need the update.

Logging to SQL is a little more advanced, but I will eventually cover it. Unfortunately it will not be able to be done with the free version of VB because that version only supports Access databases.

Archie have you looked at Sharp develop http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/ it is free programming software for VB.net & C#, its big advantage over VS express is it allows full database access. It is also a much smaller download and install than VS express.

I use it all the time

PS great work so far

Geoff

Last edited:
CroCop said:
Have you come across the TUX EIP http://www.tuxplc.net/index.php?page=tuxeip

Granted, it's for linux, but it looks like connecting to a Rockwell controller has been done before.
I actually have that code and Ron Gage's version of it also and have been studying their code. Unfortunately they are for Linux and written in C, so converting to VB.NET is not a straight forward process.

GeoffC said:
Archie have you looked at Sharp develop http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/ it is free programming software for VB.net & C#, its big advantage over VS express is it allows full database access. It is also a much smaller download and install than VS express.
I did know about it, but never tried it, I guess because I have always had the full version of Visual Studio. Will SharpDevelop open Visual Studio projects?

What about an OPC driver? That would be so useful.

Good work, keep it up

Cheers

cjd1965 said:
What about an OPC driver? That would be so useful.
As for writing an OPC driver, I'm not going to get into that because when it comes to .NET, the OPC-DA interface is actually outdated, slow, and cumbersome.

There is a new OPC model (UA) that may become part of this package in the future.

As for making my graphical objects work with OPC, I am actually toying with that concept. That would allow an existing driver, such as RSLinx, to be pulled into the Advanced HMI development package

Archie,
You have my vote for incorporating OPC UA client capability into your project/components. BTW, the OPC foundation is making good progress on a DA<->UA wrapper to leverage existing drivers for just about anything out there.

Archie said:
As for writing an OPC driver, I'm not going to get into that because when it comes to .NET, the OPC-DA interface is actually outdated, slow, and cumbersome.

There is a new OPC model (UA) that may become part of this package in the future.

As for making my graphical objects work with OPC, I am actually toying with that concept. That would allow an existing driver, such as RSLinx, to be pulled into the Advanced HMI development package

Awesome! I have been waiting many years for this.
I tried it out on a micrologix 1100 with no problems. Had no trouble displaying the .acc value in timers above the standard File type 4.
Thanks

odlaw said:
Awesome! I have been waiting many years for this.
I tried it out on a micrologix 1100 with no problems. Had no trouble displaying the .acc value in timers above the standard File type 4.
Sweet! I like hearing from anyone that gets to try it out. I just released an update with a few bug fixes and I also added a Stacklight control.

Keep me posted on any bugs you find or controls you would like to see added.

I have also started using this on a project for one of our cooling towers I will be using the HMI and a micrologix 1500 I have done some test and so far so good with the Hmi and the micrologix 1500 ,I will be controlling PH in the water.I would like to see more analog stuff amp meters ,etc
Thanks so much

bh307 said:
I would like to see more analog stuff amp meters ,etc
What kind of analog devices do you have in mind, do you have pictures or web links you can send me to show the things you would like to see? I also find Ebay a good resource for pictures of devices.

The only thing I noticed so far was there is no red pilot light. I like being creative so I am sure I can change your green one to red and learn a little about vb but some may not want to take the time.
I will post my application screen shot when I am done.
Thanks again