You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old May 22nd, 2020, 05:43 AM   #1
mxj262
United Arab Emirates

Rockwell Automation e learning

Are these certificate useful for getting noticed by employers ?
I have done level1 and level2 and enrolled for level3 and level4 also.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_5.png (42.9 KB, 64 views)
Old May 22nd, 2020, 06:07 AM   #2
parky
United Kingdom

I suppose it depends on a number of factors.
1. Very often the people interviewing will probably not really know what these certificates mean (this works both ways, they ignore them out of lack of knowledge or consider them irrelevant or even though they have no idea what they mean, will accept the more bits of paper you show as being you seem to have the knowledge we need).
My point is, having these does not mean you are any good (seen this too often) however, any training is a good thing, so proof of training and exposure is always a good thing. Most companies nowadays want a degree as a minimum level, to be honest this does not mean you are good, it means you are good at passing exams etc. Do not get me wrong, education is paramount be it simple following the old timer as an apprentice or spending a few years at university. Give me the old timer & University a good combination.
But there are many out there who have the minimum qualifications but can do a good job.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 06:51 AM   #3
Aabeck
United States

I believe in continual education and go to training seminars as I can.

However, when I realized how useless those pieces of paper are I literally threw out a hundred certificates, and many since then. Not one employer or prospective employer would even look at them or wanted to hear about any of them.

Now, it does hold true that certificates related to IT are valuable in that field.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 12:02 PM   #4
parky
United Kingdom

Been to many myself, apart from a skive off day or so I have found most of them useful, however, I attended the Siemens PL1 (I think it was called), what a waste of time I learnt more in a couple of hours looking through a program already written. Same goes for xxth Edition (electrical probably UK only) I let mine lapse so had to do the course, out of 12 or so people, only 4 of those were actually electricians, all passed the course it's a load of b$!T.
Part P is another. Some of the best I have been to are IFIX, Wonderware but that's a few years ago and not cheap.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 01:35 PM   #5
Operaghost
United States

I agree with many of the comments above. It is useful to show that you have had training. But as someone that used to deliver this exact training and sign (back when we still signed them) those certificates....all they really meant was that you attended and the check cleared. If you paid, you passed.

I fought constantly to have harder material available. All too often the material was not challenging enough. And frankly the desire to learn from the students really has died off. Used to be when a student finished a lab, they dove deeper and experimented until it was time to move on. Now, as soon as someone finishes a lab, they pick up their phone and you've lost them. That just never sank in to those in charge. I added my own extra stuff where I could.

There is no test required to pass these classes. As it was explained to me, us failing a student could have a detrimental impact on their employment. On some occasions at the customer's request we would perform a pre-test and then a post-test but that was more to measure that they improved. Those tests were usually pretty well done, but it was just a written test.

At least with the certificate classes Rockwell is offering there is a test required at the end. But it is tough for testing to cover all the varied aspects of controller and software capabilities these days, particularly when applications vary greatly from one job to another.

OG

Last edited by Operaghost; May 22nd, 2020 at 01:37 PM.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum