You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old May 22nd, 2020, 05:01 PM   #1
GENERY
Singapore

RSLogix 5000 PID Question

Good day everyone. I would like to ask something regarding PID Instruction. I noticed one of our machine's PID instruction status is showing "PID Initialize = NO". I am wondering if this can cause the PID not to function normally? And how to initialize it?

Reason for asking is because one of our older machines suddenly is unable to achieve the setpoint temperature. Is it controlled using the PID instruction. I went online tot he PLC and checked the rung condition are all OK and hardware side are also OK. Only noticed the PID instruction is showing "PID Initialize = NO". I have compared with our offline backup PLC program and noticed the PID Instruction status is showing PID Initialize = YES. Hence, I tried to download our backup program and everything is back to normal and now is showing PID Initialize = YES.

Thanks for your kind attention and stay safe.
Old May 24th, 2020, 07:31 PM   #2
ASF
Lifetime Supporting Member
Australia

You should be able to just check the box and it will begin to function normally. Or, you can set the PID's .INI bit, which does the same thing.

If the PID scaling values are invalid, I believe that this box will be unchecked. I also seem to recall that if you modify the scaling values using ladder logic instead of the PID dialog box, the INI bit turns off and you have to turn it on again (or possibly that it didn't turn off, but the PID wouldn't work until you turned it off and on again yourself). I'd love to know how many tequilas the RA engineer who implemented the "initialised" function had consumed that day. I wonder if the Four Points bar was involved...
Old May 24th, 2020, 10:08 PM   #3
willxfmr
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Don't mind me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF View Post
I wonder if the Four Points bar was involved...
Not to be a stickler on details, but to my knowledge most Rockwell ideas originate from the Airport Lounge, not Four Points.

Bubba.
“Now will come the nay-sayers with all the reasons why you shouldn't do this. Some of them are teachers, and some of us are doers. Besides, you have got to let the smoke out of this equipment every now and then, or it starts to clog up the chimney.”
~Lancie1
Old May 25th, 2020, 04:59 AM   #4
GENERY
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF View Post
You should be able to just check the box and it will begin to function normally. Or, you can set the PID's .INI bit, which does the same thing.

If the PID scaling values are invalid, I believe that this box will be unchecked. I also seem to recall that if you modify the scaling values using ladder logic instead of the PID dialog box, the INI bit turns off and you have to turn it on again (or possibly that it didn't turn off, but the PID wouldn't work until you turned it off and on again yourself). I'd love to know how many tequilas the RA engineer who implemented the "initialised" function had consumed that day. I wonder if the Four Points bar was involved...
Thanks ASF.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum