FactoryTalk View User Activity Monitoring

sym_man

We are about to turn over control of one of our facilities to a group that has no business operating it.

When they inevitably cause problems and try to blame us, I need a log of actions taken on the HMI.

Is there any easy way to enable this in FactoryTalk View Site Edition Local Station? I'm running version 8.1.

I'd rather not have to edit every button and field to add events to it.

Easy; that's built in with FactoryTalk Diagnostics.

1) Open Windows System event viewer/log (from control panel Admin tools). Increase the size of the FactoryTalk Diagnostics log: 200MB, 500MG, 1GB. Depends on how much free disk space you have and how many days of activity you want to store.

2) From the FT Admin console, open the Diagnostics Log Setup (menu bar at the top). Make sure that all of the local log messages are enabled.

That will record the user who logged in/out, names of displays that are opened, macros or events that are run, tags that are written to and what the value change was. It's not easy to retrace a user's steps, but all the info will be there.

Use the windows event viewer to quickly look at the log, and/or export the complete log to an Excel file (much easier to review there).

Easy; that's built in with FactoryTalk Diagnostics.

1) Open Windows System event viewer/log (from control panel Admin tools). Increase the size of the FactoryTalk Diagnostics log: 200MB, 500MG, 1GB. Depends on how much free disk space you have and how many days of activity you want to store.

2) From the FT Admin console, open the Diagnostics Log Setup (menu bar at the top). Make sure that all of the local log messages are enabled.

That will record the user who logged in/out, names of displays that are opened, macros or events that are run, tags that are written to and what the value change was. It's not easy to retrace a user's steps, but all the info will be there.

Use the windows event viewer to quickly look at the log, and/or export the complete log to an Excel file (much easier to review there).

Wow, awesome. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you.

Yes, you can show the diagnostics but not very well with FactoryTalk View SE.
When you create your SE station client file configuration (*.cli) choose to show the Diagnostics List.
It is a very basic, scrolling list.

You can also create a button that opens either the FactoryTalk Diagnostics Viewer, or open the Windows Event log (true source of the logs, but more power to ruin other things).

In FactoryTalk View Machine Edition, use the Diagnostics viewer object. That puts the basic list as an object on your HMI screen.