Digital to Analog I/O

dlweber

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am attempting to interface a Mistras acoustic sensor to a AB Micro820.

The problem I have is the sensor logic is 3.3VDC and Micro820 is 24VDC.

I will need one signal from the PLC to the Sensor and one from Sensor to PLC, (start / stop)

One option I see is connecting the 3.3VDC discrete I/O from the sensor to the analog I/O of the Micro820 has anyone ever connected digital I/O to analog I/O or have any insight on whether it might work?

I understand a relay would be the right way, however, finding a relay that accepts 3.3VDC on the control and mountable in the box is not straight forward and I do not have a 3.3VDC source for the contact side of the relay. The enclosure I have is small so I do not have room for much more components.

I might of missed them then I seen 5VDC as low end for relays.

The problem still lies that for the PLC > Sensor, I do not have 3.3VDC available to run to a relay to activate the Sensor input.

Their website says that all their sensors come in different outputs 0-10v, 4-20ma, 0-5, maybe you might want to check on getting a different sensor that will work for the equipment you already have.

Just my opinion.

The various voltages you are mentioning appear to be pertaining to the Sensors analog I/O ranges (-10-10V, 0-5V, 4-20ma), my issue is with the sensor's digital I/O, I am in contact with the company and there has not been talk of a 24VDC model. The I/O of the sensor is not as flexible as a PLC or other logic devices, there is very limited things you can do with each I/O point.

I had no influence on the parts that were bought, one of the other engineers bought it all and dumped in my lap to integrate. I actually fought against getting the Micro820 but ended up with it anyways.

They do have much larger more robust systems and I am not sure of the I/O capabilities of those, however, they are overkill and much more expensive.

^ I may be missing something but the part you linked to looks to be a device that interfaces the sensor to a PC or similar. I don't see anything about discrete I/O, nor could I find a wiring diagram on the website?

Edit: Is the I/O in that 9-pin D-Sub connector? Is there any wiring diagram or documentation you can share?

Last edited:
The USB does connect to a computer, it has a DB-9 connector that has 4 Analog in 1 Dig In, 2 Analog out, which can't actually be used for some reason, and one Dig Out the product bulletin on the right gives you some information the manual I could not find a downloadable manual, but it comes on a CD with the unit.

The RJ-45 connections are just links for cascading sensors

But regardless of pin out...the cable is already made and hooked up to the sensor unit. The issue is the 24V to 3V conflict on the Digital I/O.

I am wondering if I use the Analog I/O on the Micro820 to mimic the 3V Digital I/O on the sensor, do you think that will work? I never connected Analog to Digital I/O before and I can not find much information on it either.