AB PLC-2 Taylor Software

Anybody remember the PLC-2? I have one (for learning purposes)and would like to use my PC instead of the bulky T3 terminal to program it. I think I have software that will allow me to do it but I don't know how to hook up the computer.

The software is Taylor Proworx from Taylor Industrial Control. I have all the manuals explaining how to use it but I am missing the "how to connect" feature. Mainly I don't understand all the options from Allen Bradley concerning their Data Highway.

So here is my question. What module do I need to connect a PC (rs232) to an AB PLC2? I have a 1771 KE, and ordered (Ebay) the 1771 KA2; are they any use?

Thank you for your time and help;

Frank

PS: You might have remembered me posting questions about the 1747-UIC a few weeks back. It turns out the unit was defective. I'm not sure when AB will get me a replacement. The salesman said the "leadtime" is 4 weeks. He implied that when AB says 4 weeks it means "uncertain".

Frank

It's been rather a long time...

You'll need a number of cables to make it work and may have to make them yourself. First connect the programming port on the PLC2 to the processor port on the KA2. Then make a DH cable (blue hose)to connect the DH ports on the KA2 and the KE. Then connect your PC's serial port to the RS232 port on the KE.

With this setup, your Taylor s/w should be able to upload and download and possibly monitor programs, but on-line editing will not be supported (a DH limitation).

The Taylor s/w will also allow you to connect to port 'C' on the T3 and emulate a tape recorder for upload/download.

If the PLC2 that you have supports on-line editing and you want that feature (crude as it is) then forget all the data highway stuff and make yourself a "smart cable" to connect directly to the processor - it's just a level translator.