Restoring FactoryTalk View .apa file

RobbieNelson

I have a stand alone FactoryTalk View HMI that I want to... 1. make a backup for.... and 2. use the backup machine to do incremental upgrades to FT View.

Existing machine:
Windows XP Pro 32bit SP 3
FactoryTalk View 5.00.00 CPR9 Patch/Pack 00 Build 55

Backup machine:
freshly installed Windows XP Pro 32bit SP3
FactoryTalk View 5.00.00 CPR9 Patch/Pack 00 Build 55
Note: no Rockwell licenses activated, but the FT View grace period has 5 days left

I create the .apa file using the Application Manager. Transfer the file to the backup machine via USB stick. Run a restore on the backup machine via the Application Manager. Select the second option to restore FT Directory. It asks me for a username and password. I use my admin windows UN/PW (which I've read should work). Then I get an error message:

ApplicationManagerServer
The restore was not successful. The FactoryTalk View SE (local) application and FactoryTalk Local Directory for the selected APA were not restored.

If I try to restore without the Directory (1st option), I get the following message:

Application Manager
Unable to restore the application 'name_of_app' from 'location_of_apa'.
Please check that:
- there is sufficient disk space
- the application is not open elsewhere
- the destination application does not already exist

There's plenty of space and the application has never been on this machine.

I've also tried to restore another .apa file from another unrelated HMI with the same errors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That error message actually covers a wide variety of different problems with the underlying FactoryTalk components.

The *.APA contains a bunch of different stuff; the FTView application itself, the RSLinx enterprise comms configuration, the FT Local Directory information, the Users configuration, the ActiveX components associated with the project, and the KepServer configuration.

A problem with any one of those can prevent the Restore from working correctly.

The most comprehensive list of workarounds for this error message are in RA Knowledgebase Article 34815: FactoryTalk View, Unable to Restore the Application (Access level = TechConnect).

Since this is a fresh installation the first thing I would check is to be sure RSLinx Enterprise is installed, and be sure that there's a valid Shortcut defined in its schema (you can create that from the FactoryTalk Administration Console).

The most comprehensive list of workarounds for this error message are in RA Knowledgebase Article 34815: FactoryTalk View, Unable to Restore the Application (Access level = TechConnect).

I've been googling and searching the Rockwell KB for this issue all morning. Not once did I come across that link. Thanks you!

This fixed it. Sometimes simple things like this are so frustrating.
Cause 8
During the install, the user elected to not install the sample applications or only installed the client components.

Therefore the HMI Projects folder was never created during the install:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\RSView Enterprise\SE\HMI Projects

Solution 8
Manually create the HMI Projects folder.

I went to that AB page and went through a number of the steps.

It turned out the guy that saved the program had done a patch rollup from AB and the guy trying to open the file had not.

He went to the Rockwell website, download the latest patch rollup and all is good.

Thanks
Ron

hi

same issue is coming for me when i want to restore the FTV 10 application into FTV 11 it is unable to restore the application.

please help me out because i dont have any tech support