Scada

Where can I find a scada software to build many client applications with the same licence. I want to use old pc's to alow local control of the equipment (plc) by the operator instead of expensive displays like magelis, and at the same time build one general application to trend, display and update all set-points needed. Schneider have the Vijeo package that I think is a good one , but the only problem relies on the licences. I have to buy one licence for every local application and one for the main application. The monitor-pro is very expensive.
I have some knowleges of VB and access databases.
If someone knows where I can find this scada software or even OPC software then I apprecite you help me.

Thanq you.

(Sorry my bad english , but I speak portuguese too)

Agostinho, this wouldnt be a problem if you develop your own application.

Commercial apps require a license for X amount of tags normally, to use/sell them in different places is not normally appropriate.

If you are designing/creating/installing scada apps to different places then somehow you must price accordingly.

YOu realize you are asking for a way to use what someone sells/develops to profit from it without paying them?

Its not standard to be able to license apps for multiple locations. The best thing is to have the buyer pay what for what is needed and attempt to use same thing for each buyer.

Build a simple VB app, using com drivers which you can purchase easaly on e-Bay for a very little cost.

I'll have to agree with every one else. Your own requirements are forcing you to build your own SCADA.

Every manufacturer of SCADA software sells a license on a "per install" basis.

The only exception to this, and perhaps this will work for you, are those systems that enable control via the Web (internet or intranet). In those systems, since the destination machine doesn't need anything other than a browser, you don't pay the vendor for additional SCADA licenses.

But if you want SCADA at each station, you'll have to pay, or develop your own (which is almost the same as paying).

Good luck!

I don't think it will be cheaper to develop your own SCADA system, especially if you want the same possibilities as the professional packages have. In fact I'm sure it will be a lot more expensive. These professionals have already divided the cost of the development by the number of systems/tag licenses they expect to sell. You would have to charge it to the first customer(s) of your system! The clients are also not eager to buy a system for which the are obliged to let the maintenance be done by only one firm. For the professional systems they have a choice from a range of firms who program these systems. If they think one firm charges to much, they have a choice of replacements! You would have to be cheaper than cheap to get them along! Or your system should be the best in the field!

Maybe I don´t make my self clear.
My situation is that I work in a firm that have five main sectors each one with several machines controled by a momentum modicon plc.
Besides the supervisor control made by the app. scada that I must have to pay (of course) I want to have a local control (made by old pc's) very simple as a matter of fact, to made some data input and read some alarms by the operator, instead of buying expensive display's like magelis schneider. This is the main question. Will I have to pay five different licences or can I use some opc server to build this local applications in Access for example ?
By the way, what do you think of the vijeo package ? What is the best scada software in your opinion ?

Thank you for your concerned

Agostinho Macedo

The Schneider Electric Vijeo Look SCADA software looks to be a very usable item for it's price range. Function wise it is not as complete as Wonderware, but if you do not need the extras, why pay for them.

Have you looked at the UniOP line of HMI from EXOR? They are an Italian company and their products are inexpensive (in $US). Their US website is http://www.exor-rd.com.

If you just want local annunciation for alarms and local data display at the remote PLCs, then you don't need or want a full SCADA station at these points. I would recommend using a simple operator interface at each location tied into a second PLC port or into the SCADA network depending on your hardware and software configuration. Schneider brand labels Cutler Hammer Panelmate products, which I have had good luck with, but you can get by with almost any Operator Interface. My preferred is EXOR (www.exor-rd.com).

One other bit of info - most SCADA packages have two versions of the license. First and most expensive is a configuration license, that lets you design the system and create the tag base and screens. Most also offer a run-time license, which as the name implies can't be used to create new screens or new tags, but will operate on a standalone PC to run the configuration created with the configuratin license. If you want a multiple PC SCADA system you generally need only one configuration license for the "master" station and a runtime license for each additional station.

I think I get what Mr. Macedo wants to do now. He has several older computers available that he wants to use as an HMI/MMI device to allow operator control, show alarms etc and act as a data collection point.

Some of this has been covered on a couple of other threads, the latest being:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?s=&threadid=324

That one involves simple data collecting using OPC/DDE, there are some good replies.

The other thing you want is more difficult, I personally am not aware of any HMI/Scada software that is open code/free, I take it you want to create your own HMI/Scada application. You may want to look at:
http://www.scadaengine.com/

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ianw/

http://www.abpubs.demon.co.uk/scadasites.htm

There is a book for this also: Creating HMI/SCADA Industrial Applications Using Microsoft Access http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0966312031/inktomi-bkasin-20/002-5295881-9288826

This is a very minute number compared to what searching the net can get you. If you have the time and cant get the budget allocated to purchase a scada package there are ways to do it. In the long run the cost may be the same or more but darn its nice to create something and have it working.

I hate rsdoran

Ok, yeah, I have no morals, I'm a sell out.

For $300 I'll send you Wonderware software and a license that you can copy over and over again. Email me at [email protected]

Maannn will this P...SS some people off. At least I hope it P...ses off rsdoran. Man I can't stand this f....n flake. The ignorant f...ck attacks anyone with a question that he deems below him. Yet, anything above him, he cries and he cries.

No he hasn't attacked me. But what an ignorant f....ck.

And yes, I expect an attack after this.

If anyone else is tired of his f...'n sh...t. Please come forward now.

If you look at every post that he makes, there is Always. I say, ALWAYS an insult or condescending remark made. I don't believe that he has ever posted without talking down to someone. And yet he is an idiot.

for example, even from this discussion:

Rsdoran:
"you realize you are asking for a way to use what someone sells/develops to profit from it without paying them? "

What an idiot.

This will probably get me banned or something. But boy was it worth it.

GOD!!!!, this person ****es me off. Clasic f...'n narcasist.

DO YOU THINK I GOT MY POINT ACROSS? MAN I HAVE BEEN HOLDING THIS IN FOR AWHILE NOW.

Sincerely,

One extremely ****ed off programmer.

Please ignore my last post. I doubt this will be sufficient.

I tried to delete it. Guess I let it sit there too long.

Oh, well.

Maannn will this P...SS some people off. At least I hope it P...ses off rsdoran. Man I can't stand this f....n flake. The ignorant f...ck attacks anyone with a question that he deems below him. Yet, anything above him, he cries and he cries.

No he hasn't attacked me. But what an ignorant f....ck.

And yes, I expect an attack after this.

If anyone else is tired of his f...'n sh...t. Please come forward now.

If you look at every post that he makes, there is Always. I say, ALWAYS an insult or condescending remark made. I don't believe that he has ever posted without talking down to someone. And yet he is an idiot.

for example, even from this discussion:

Rsdoran:
"you realize you are asking for a way to use what someone sells/develops to profit from it without paying them? "

At first I was going to ignore it but I reckon not. I did not set the tone for the moral issues involved with this site, I just attempt to abide by them. Alot here are OEM's, owner and programmers therefore they get paid for what they do. I am not any of the above so have "cheated" in some ways to do some things. Example: I have stated ways to duplicate AB activation disks, some disliked it so I stopped.

Simple fact: You cant please everyone all the time. I will not try too.

TO refute the above quote "If you look at every post that he makes, there is Always. I say, ALWAYS an insult or condescending remark made. I don't believe that he has ever posted without talking down to someone. And yet he is an idiot" I will post links to some of the most recent and lets see if that is correct.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?s=&threadid=369

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?s=&threadid=370

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?s=&threadid=358

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?s=&threadid=307

You have your opinions, thats your prerogative. If I see something I disagree with I am not to state it? This is an open forum isnt it. Lets use this thread as an example:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?s=&threadid=330
I shouldn't mention that the objective of the forum was to post the code so ALL may see? AND that the code was specific for AB and not ALL could use it? Now I was never angry with Chakorules and I appreciate his site and downloads. This must be an open forum with alot of freedom to state what you wish, you got to call me innumerable names etc freely without provocation.

I am here and will continue coming here because I have learned alot from this site, not about plc's specifically. Some of what I did not know how to do was state things correctly (even though I knew the answer) and I had problems containing my anger at people. I havent learned to phrase everything properly yet but y'all sure helped me with the anger management.

Meanwhile back at the ranch.....
With WonderWare You can use one development liscense
for multiple applications but you gotta have a runtime
liscense for each PC running the app.
It is strictly by the honor system with liscenses.
My employer is a real stickler about the liscense thing.
NO CHEATING.

Okay you guys can get back to the rumble.

Humm.... Can't we all get along now ;) Hey, let's have a group hug, shall we?

Oh, back to the topic. I would suggest investigate the possiblity of either a VB application like someone already mentioned or standard HMI on thin-client (ie. window terminal). Since I don't know how software vendor structure their fee regarding thin-client I can't say it will save you any $$$. Would someone else share their research on that? Also thin-client got the advantage of only maintain one set of master screen file.

Regards,

HT

ps. anyone know of books that teach VB for control system application?