Touch Screen for use with the Logix Family

Beryl

At the risk of opening a huge can of worms I'd like some input from all kinds. I'm trying to find an alterative touch screen to use with my logix family of processors so I can abandon the PanelView Plus screens.

I'm not wanting to start a AB bash session I just want to find another viable solution. Now I know there are several screens out there that you can get to work but I don't want to have to revert to the SLC500 memory map which most do.

I know Wonderware has some new screens out but they are limited on size and the number of tags are too small. Anyway who knows where to look for a full line of screens that will communicate to the Logix family in the native tag name format?

Thanks in advance.
Beryl

DF1 and Ethernet lots of choices

You have lots of choices for DF1 and Ethernet (they even have an Active X control). DH you are stucked because of response time. I like Exor for tough environments (angry idiots and/or corosion).

Mr. Beryl,

I'm sorta new to the PLC and Panelview/touchscreen realm, so bear with me...

I had a local engineering group come by the plant yesterday, and he looked over an application I have planned for the near future on some conveyor system modifications. He suggested I use something Rockwell Automation calls "Panelview Component". I haven't used them, but he was really excited about the fact that they're available. There's no need for software, it's built-in. The line of panelviews were built solely for integration with Allen-Bradley MicroLogix and SLC500 families of PLCs. They're offered in a full line of displays, from 2" to 10".

Anyway, without sounding like a salesman, which I'm not, I thought what I learned yesterday about the Component line of panelviews would be somewhat valuable information to someone like you... Maybe you already knew about the series and they've been around for years, I don't know. I do know that I'm going to purchase one (they're 1/3 of the price of a standard panelview, by the way) and try it out.

Let me know what you think...
wannalearn

Link to some information on Panelview Component:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711c-um001_-en-p.pdf

Beryl said:
At the risk of opening a huge can of worms I'd like some input from all kinds. I'm trying to find an alterative touch screen to use with my logix family of processors so I can abandon the PanelView Plus screens.

I'm not wanting to start a AB bash session I just want to find another viable solution. Now I know there are several screens out there that you can get to work but I don't want to have to revert to the SLC500 memory map which most do.

I know Wonderware has some new screens out but they are limited on size and the number of tags are too small. Anyway who knows where to look for a full line of screens that will communicate to the Logix family in the native tag name format?

Thanks in advance.
Beryl
Parker CTC offers a new line, the XP.
6', 8", 10", I have used with no issues, graphics are great and they offer drivers for the Logix family (not an option, pre-installed out of the box, tags can be used in the native tag format)as well as a bunch of other pre-installed drivers that do cover the entire Allen Bradley family and other manufacturers.
USB, 2 serial ports which you decide how to use in addition to the Ethernet port.
Operating system runs on a flash card so no moving parts or hard drives.
You will have to buy the "Interact Xpress" development software but this is one time buy as they allow you to use it on all panels you design. I believe it is around $100.00.

wannalearn said:
Mr. Beryl,

I'm sorta new to the PLC and Panelview/touchscreen realm, so bear with me...

I had a local engineering group come by the plant yesterday, and he looked over an application I have planned for the near future on some conveyor system modifications. He suggested I use something Rockwell Automation calls "Panelview Component". I haven't used them, but he was really excited about the fact that they're available. There's no need for software, it's built-in. The line of panelviews were built solely for integration with Allen-Bradley MicroLogix and SLC500 families of PLCs. They're offered in a full line of displays, from 2" to 10".

Anyway, without sounding like a salesman, which I'm not, I thought what I learned yesterday about the Component line of panelviews would be somewhat valuable information to someone like you... Maybe you already knew about the series and they've been around for years, I don't know. I do know that I'm going to purchase one (they're 1/3 of the price of a standard panelview, by the way) and try it out.

Let me know what you think...
wannalearn

Link to some information on Panelview Component:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711c-um001_-en-p.pdf

wannalearn,
The PanelView Component is pretty new. After you get it and play awhile come back here and start a new thread to let the forum know what you think of it.

Touch screens

Not sure why you would want to stop using AB. I like the Magelis or the CutlerHammer PanelMate. Im not sure if PanelMate is still made. Both are easy to program and the software interface isnt going to break the bank. I think at this time Id use the Magelis or the PanelView. Panelmate is now a Modicon product or Eaton Cuttler-Hammer product. Software will be different from when I used it last. There are other good products out there. Be open minded.

Sorry but what Red Lion calls native tag addressing and what I call native tag adressing are 2 different things. I read the technote and the redlion can only access controller tags and it is not a direct browse as the PV+ is. The Red lion has a semi automated tag import function which from what I can see creates a tag database in the HMI. A long way different from a direct rowsed tag.

Regards Alan Case

Alan's right, only controller tags, no program tags, but there are only rare instances where you really should need to use program tags.

As far as directly browsing tags, I still think this is a very inefficient way to develop a program in my opinion. I may need 100 tags to write my HMI, why should I have to scroll through the thousands of tags that it takes to operate the machine? In fact, I would highly recommend that you don't use the tag import feature of the Red Lion for the same reason.

My experiences with the Cutler Hammer Panelmates, software, and DH+ cards was excellent...with SLC/Micro and PLC-5.

You get two serial ports and a piggy back DH+ card. They aren't constantly fiddling with firmware, and you can download a project serially in about 30 seconds...

The software can be mastered in a couple of days, and to use the DH+ card, you simply download the driver for it.

The executive firmware and DH+ driver are loaded first, then the application...the whole process is faster than the boot time of a PV+.

Now, it has been 3 years since I used them heavily, and I did have problems trying to RSLinx to download applications to them via DH+, but doing it serially was such a breeze, that it was no big deal.

The Panlemates we used allowed for easy migration between models (screen sizes and touch versus keypad units) and one display could support our DF1 and DH+ applications with the external piggy-back module, so we stocked two or three different sizes of HMIs to support dozens of machines, and stocked the DH+ interface separately.

I am pretty sure even then, there was some support for controllogix tags, but someone with more recent experience may want to verify that.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Red Lion, but have no experience with them. Does the Red Lion support DH+?

Paul

I have used the Telemecanique Magelis XBT GT unit. To be honest I have no experiance of actually programming any other (take the suggestion along with other peoples!); but saying that, it was the first I programmed myself (self taught through the samples from the Telemec Website and the very very good help files within the software itself).

I used this using DF1 to a Micrologix 1000 unit. It all works as expected.

They were not the cheapest, but very well made.

I do see the Red Lion units mentioned a lot here, I have no experience of them though.

OkiePC said:
I have heard nothing but good things about the Red Lion, but have no experience with them. Does the Red Lion support DH+?

Paul
No, I'm not aware of any companies that are being allowed to DH+ on new products

Beryl said:

Thanks in advance.
Beryl

Hello Beryl,

We use IDEC Touch Screens HG2F, HG3F and HG4F. The HG3F and HG4F have Ethernet that supports Ethernet/IP. We have been using these Touch Screens for over 10 years.

I connect the HG3F to a MicroLogix 1100 through a 9300-RADES usnig standard Ethernet Patch Cables.

These are very good and stable screens in my opinion.

Best regards,

I've used a couple of the small 3" PV component terminals and they along with the script development environment give you the feel of the old panelviews. Nothing fancy and they are mainly geared toward low end micrologix and SLC DF1 protocol. Programming environment response is very slow. You add a button and wait a few seconds for it to pop up on the screen. They are perfect for small projects with a limited budget where a HMI is needed and they cover a large range of protocols beyond just the AB processors. I would not advise using these for any logix 5000 family of processors.