Wireless Ethernet and managed switch ports

cncsparky

We have an existing, working system using GE MDS iNET900 radios for PLC -> PLC communication. They are tied to four dedicated ports in a Cisco Catalyst corporate IT switch. The switches are many years old and obsolete.

IT recently installed all new closets with new Aruba switches, partially to migrate from the Cisco switches. Moving our equipment to the new switches has been mostly pain free. Except for these ports used on our wireless system. I asked IT to verify the old ports, and the new ports I am to use, have the same settings. They said the ports are set the same.

Once I plug into the new port, a few seconds of blinking lights then the port goes dead. Even my LinkRunner won't talk. IT says its a BPDU packet fault and shuts down the port.

I reached the end of my networking knowledge(not much). Does anyone know what needs done here? Of course, our IT switch management is offsite(outsourced). I need to place a trouble call with them to resolve this.

Just doing some reading, sounds like STP needs to be disabled on these ports. Sound correct? BPDU filtering? What I need is the specific keywords to tell them. Help?!! 🔨

Thanks!

what type of plc's do you have? Ive seen inet 900's get shut down by multicast traffic from allen bradley plcs just like you described. You will need to have a managed switch and dont allow multicast.

Also check Trunking config.
Our switches shutdown ports if more than one device is connected to any one port, unless trunking is configured.