OT-Resume writers

Bob O

I'm asking for a friend of mine whose also in the business.
I would try and help him but my skills in that area are worse then my PLC programming skills.

Thanks,
Bob O.

This may not be exactly what you're looking after, but I find that starting with a template helps.

This one is common around Europe:

https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/documents/curriculum-vitae/templates-instructions/templates/doc
You can and should, obviously, delete the stuff about the EU, but it gives a good skeleton to fill in.

The rest is to keep in mind the size (two to three pages maximum), the content (no point repeating the same over and over) and give an indication of the results achieved on the job.

I agree "Template" Microsoft Office has several to pick from.

You could also "Google" Resume Templates and probably find something.

Good Luck.

If the guy’s applying for a job the requires attention to detail then recommend that he ought to have three different people read proof his final copy.

I read resumes and I regard spelling and grammar errors as examples of not paying attention to detail, grounds for moving on to the next one in pile of resumes.

Here's a resume advice to your friend. Write a great resume then put it in a drawer and revise/add to it regularly.

Don't rely on resumes. Current hiring "model" (indoctrination really) that most recruiters and hiring managers use were designed to be applied to specific roles but they are used right across the board to any profession, trade, labour, or anyone who will perform any task for pay.
There are bots that read and filter online resumes in ways that was described to me years ago and probably worse now.

Knock on doors, talk to friends or acquaintance, approach anyone, anywhere and any way you can think of and enjoy the rewards. You can be more of the same or yourself.

I worked independently for most of my life but the few years I wrote

resumes and applied for jobs online taught me to ignore all those rules.
I once copied a job post and pasted it as my resume and got an interview. I regret not asking if they ever read the resume. The interview questions were even dumber, Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What would you do with 1000 dollars if we give it to you now? And **** like that. It was a group interview of three of us for a minimum wage job.

Edit: I just remembered another story :D

In 1991 or 1992 after I started my first company, one man show kind of thing, and had no business sense or understanding that I thought customers are just going to flock my way which didn't happen. So after a few months or a year I applied for a night shift job power washing commercial kitchens and reserved my days to running my business. On my job application (or resume can't remember now) I put my company name as my previous job and made up a name as my former supervisor at the company. I had an in person interview with the company owner and an hour or so later received a call from him and I took the call as the fictitious supervisor I created and gave myself a superb reference and got the job. These were the days.

Last edited:
Don't rely on resumes. Current hiring "model" (indoctrination really) that most recruiters and hiring managers use were designed to be applied to specific roles but they are used right across the board to any profession, trade, labour, or anyone who will perform any task for pay.
There are bots that read and filter online resumes in ways that was described to me years ago and probably worse now.
Nowadays, the recruiters are always circling around and will have a chat with you after the bot flagged up a resume.
In this line, never trust a recruiter saying he's putting you forward. Always ask for the location, industry and name of the company and apply directly regardless.

While there are good recruiters out there that understand the industry, most are just looking to put a warm body in a company and collect a paycheck, so never put too much trust in one.

The interview questions were even dumber, Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What would you do with 1000 dollars if we give it to you now? And **** like that. It was a group interview of three of us for a minimum wage job.
I think this is usually a sign of incompetence in recruitment. People have no idea what to ask, look online for questions and this always comes up most because it only makes sense for a couple of positions.
I just refuse group interviews as they are simply stupid for pretty much any position.

You have ten seconds to convince me, the hiring manager, to do something other than throw your resume in the wastebasket along with most of the rest of the pile of a hundred resumes. I am looking for someone to solve a problem. What can you do for me?

Now, write your resume accordingly.
1. Contact info
2. Skills, AKA what you can do for me.*
3. RELEVANT experience, including what tasks you performed at that job that you will also perform working for me.* Don't bother with dates, just duration (ex. 8years).

*Your resume gets adjusted based on the job listing you are replying to. Don't use artillery, don't use a shotgun, use a rifle. Change your resume and cover letter every time.

Dan Miller from 48 Days to the Work You Love has a great method for contacting prospective employers that has had great results for me. https://www.48days.com/worksheet-list/
Click on the Job Search Process sheet.
I have my own anecdote(s) of success with this method that I will spare you for now, but it is a thousand times better than the typical process of filling out applications left and right.

I kind of feel like I'm the only one here that has gotten jobs with sheer persistence. I've put in applications, and called and showed up in person to check on my resume, often insisting that a call be placed to HR to let them know I stopped by to check the status. It has gotten me many jobs, simply because I bugged them. I honestly can't remember a time this strategy has failed me.

I touted my CV around some recruitment agencies a few years back, and I was of the opinion that I needed the interview experience as well, so was happy to go to a few.

My CV was sent to all agencies as a pdf file, and at one interview, I was asked to confirm my employment history. It turned out that the company hiring were confused, as the agency had copied and pasted parts of my CV into their own document format, screwed up the format and got the timelines wrong.

Many agencies will not say who their client is, but may give hints.

The job I am in now, I applied to the agency, said I would think about it, asked later for more info, turned out I had a tenuous link to an employee, sent my CV to that employee.....got my interview independent of the agency, got the job and a better salary offer, as the company had no agency fee to pay..!