RiceLake Indicator -> CompactLogix

BMK

wondering if anyone has experience getting weight data from a network port on a RiceLake indicator into a CompactLogix controller. I have explored setting up a generic ethernet module but am stuck on the connection parameters.

I have the scale indicator set to continuous output through the network port and I can see the value coming through PuTTY.

If anyone has suggestions or questions feel free to ask. Thank you in advance

dmroeder thanks for the reply.

*Forgot to mention I'm using a RiceLake 880 indicator

I don't have any of the option boards, but I can configure the network port's to be static or DHCP. I have the IP set static and I know the port number as well.

I've seen the Ethernet I/P card for this indicator Part Number 179159 - https://www.ricelake.com/en-us/prod...thernet-ip-880-1280?partId=22095#/information

In the manual for the network adapter card they give specific details on how to set the generic ethernet module Input, Output and Configuration instances/sizes. I'm guessing the fact that they include the option to have a network adapter module is not only to make it easier to be able to communicate from an AB controller, rather to make it actually possible to communicate. I guess I'm wondering if anybody has been able to get communications without the use of the adapter cards. I have a suspicion it is not possible.

I don't think it's default Ethernet port is capable of speaking to your CompactLogix. Keep in mind that TCP/IP is not the same thing as Ethernet I/P. You would need to get the optional Ethernet I/P module for the device to talk to a CompactLogix.

I work for a company in Yakima, I went to Perry Tech for instrumentation. Graduated in 2016. Noticed you're from Vancouver. Not too far away.. Are you familiar with the area?

I work for a company in Yakima, I went to Perry Tech for instrumentation. Graduated in 2016. Noticed you're from Vancouver. Not too far away.. Are you familiar with the area?

I lived in Yakima for 2 years, I also graduated from Perry in 2002.

Majors > Minors :)

Very cool! Perry was one of, if not the best educational decision I've made.

I've lived here my entire life :p

Woah there, those are fighting words! Minor's milkshakes are pretty tough to beat.. haha

Sorry to derail the all-important milkshake quality debate, but just in case you wanted my two cents worth on the original question ;)

...the newer (5370 and later) Compact Logix processors can talk TCP/IP, but it's very labour intensive and unwieldy. I would think of it as an method of last resort, if you have no other options.

Here, you do have other options - the Ethernet/IP module. In almost 100% of cases, the development time you save in using such a module will outweigh the cost of it several times over - and when you're done, you have a simple, lightweight, industry-standard solution in place.

I use Mettler Toledo weight transmitters all the time - they too have Ethernet (TCP/IP) adaptors and Ethernet/IP adaptors. The Ethernet/IP adaptor is more than three times the cost of the Ethernet (TCP/IP) adaptor, and it's 100% worth spending that money. I've not used Rice Lake specifically (they're not so big under here), but if your Ethernet/IP interface card is a whole $40, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of doing anything else but ordering one of those, and a spare.

Sorry to derail the all-important milkshake quality debate, but just in case you wanted my two cents worth on the original question ;)

...the newer (5370 and later) Compact Logix processors can talk TCP/IP, but it's very labour intensive and unwieldy. I would think of it as an method of last resort, if you have no other options.

Here, you do have other options - the Ethernet/IP module. In almost 100% of cases, the development time you save in using such a module will outweigh the cost of it several times over - and when you're done, you have a simple, lightweight, industry-standard solution in place.

I use Mettler Toledo weight transmitters all the time - they too have Ethernet (TCP/IP) adaptors and Ethernet/IP adaptors. The Ethernet/IP adaptor is more than three times the cost of the Ethernet (TCP/IP) adaptor, and it's 100% worth spending that money. I've not used Rice Lake specifically (they're not so big under here), but if your Ethernet/IP interface card is a whole $40, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of doing anything else but ordering one of those, and a spare.

LOL, I get derailed easily.

It looked like that Ethernet I/P adapter on their website was $575.

Oh, well, maybe don't worry about the spare then ;)

But for my money, even if it was double that price, I'd be going that way.