Multiple JMP, with One LBL

wanher3

Hello,

Could you have several JMP instructions pointing to one LBL ?
E.g
Rung 1 has: JMP (X1)
Rung 5 has: LBL (X1)
Rung 8 has: JMP (X1)

Last edited:
Hello,

Could you have several JMP instructions pointing to one LBL ?
E.g
Rung 1 has: JMP (X1)
Rung 5 has: LBL (X1)
Rung 8 has: JMP (X1)

Not sure what platform you're using, but I've definitely done it before.

The answer is definitely YES - multiple JMPs to one LBL is perfectly possible.

Obviously it doesn't work the other way, you can't have multiple LBLs with the same name/reference.

The answer is definitely YES - multiple JMPs to one LBL is perfectly possible.

Obviously it doesn't work the other way, you can't have multiple LBLs with the same name/reference.

Does it cause any issues with the scan time or how does it affect the scan time ?

Does it cause any issues with the scan time or how does it affect the scan time ?

If you are jumping forwards in the code, it shortens the scan time.

If you are jumping backwards, it lengthens it.

However, if you JMP backwards continuously, (i.e. without a "get-out" clause), you will fault the processor because the scan watchdog timer will time-out.

For repetitive "loops", I prefer to use the FOR instruction, the code executed resides in a separate routine file, and the FOR must terminate at some point

If you are jumping forwards in the code, it shortens the scan time.

If you are jumping backwards, it lengthens it.

However, if you JMP backwards continuously, (i.e. without a "get-out" clause), you will fault the processor because the scan watchdog timer will time-out.

How can i prevent that fault to happen ? and how many backward jumps will actually cause the fault ?

How can i prevent that fault to happen ? and how many backward jumps will actually cause the fault ?

It depends entirely on how much code you're jumping (and probably on a CPU setting for max cycle time).

The difference between jumping backwards 5 times and 6 times probably won't make a difference, unless you're jumping all the way from the end to the beginning.

In most situations where i've seen looping make sense, there is some calculation/algorithm/sort that needs to be done on an array of data. For an array of 10, that's probably OK. For an array of 1000, you might not like the affect on your scan time.

If the array is too big, it usually makes sense to just sort 1 item (or maybe several items) each scan, until it is all done a few seconds later.

It depends entirely on how much code you're jumping (and probably on a CPU setting for max cycle time).

The difference between jumping backwards 5 times and 6 times probably won't make a difference, unless you're jumping all the way from the end to the beginning.

In most situations where i've seen looping make sense, there is some calculation/algorithm/sort that needs to be done on an array of data. For an array of 10, that's probably OK. For an array of 1000, you might not like the affect on your scan time.

If the array is too big, it usually makes sense to just sort 1 item (or maybe several items) each scan, until it is all done a few seconds later.

Thank you.

take a look at the FAL (File Arithmetic Logical) instruction - and pay particular attention to the MODE setting ...

take a look at the FAL (File Arithmetic Logical) instruction - and pay particular attention to the MODE setting ...

FAL is a "do" instruction...

If you are "looking", its sister is the FSC (File Search Compare) instruction ...