Air Travel with PLC and Tools

jordanat2012

Hi all,
I’m getting ready to travel a ways from home with PLC and components and a few tools. Wondering if anyone has ever run into problems with putting PLCs etc. in checked luggage?

If you are traveling through China, or on a Chinese airplane, anything with a lithium battery will trip their detectors. You will only be allowed to have one lithium battery that is not in your phone or laptop, and it's size is very limited. This includes spares, battery banks and batteries in things like flashlights and PLC's.

One thing on PLC's to watch for is if the technology is prohibited to be exported to any of the countries you will be landing in. Sometimes even a programmable display will not be allowed to go to the country you are changing planes in.

Also, landing in many countries with tools will cause problems. I take the advice I got here and travel without tools, buy what I need when I get there, and donate them to the local workers when I leave - a lot less headaches.

Or, if you really need or want your tools, ship them FedEx or DSL to be there when you get there, coming home with tools generally isn't a problem.

Last edited:
Thanks Aabeck! I’m only traveling domestic on Southwest. Are there any restrictions that you know of for domestic travel and lithium batteries?

No, for domestic flights the only thing I know of being banned is Samsung IED's - I mean smart-phones. They can't go on planes even if powered off if they have batteries in them.

Once, on a domestic flight, when I asked about insurance on my tools and meters I was checking in they said it was limited, and then told me to carry on the toolcase. Utility knife blades are not allowed but 18" screwdrivers with sharp ends were OK.

FAA does not allow uninstalled lithium batteries of any size or type in checked luggage. You probably wouldn't have a problem checking a meter, and I've checked PLCs and I/O modules, but I removed the batteries. Any batteries you're carrying on, sleeve or tape or use a carrying case.

Tools are mostly at the discretion of the TSA agents. No blades or knives in carryon, but I've had screwdrivers confiscated, with weird explanations.

Flying overseas, I actually carry a booklet of certificates of origin for my oscilloscope and meter and declare them outbound, as I've had agents at USA Customs at SeaTac try to confiscate them.

I know you said you were traveling domestic, but just a heads up, traveling with tools internationally can be a huge No No especially depending on your visa.

There is almost 100% guarantee that your checked bag will be hand searched. A few tips:

Do not over pack, as they will open and search, they will not be methodical in repacking and may prevent the luggage or case from closing properly. Don’t rely on zip ties, bands, or locks to keep your luggage or case secure as these will be cut and removed.

I need to check to be sure, but I believe anything with lithium ion battery must be carried on or the battery removed and kept with the passenger at all times. Check with the Airline.

Sometimes there will be an oversize / weapon check area where they will screen your luggage with you, never hurts to ask if it can be screened there so you can be sure everything gets closed back up tightly. You can ask at the ticket counter.

1. know who you are working for and their contact numbers. office, cell, home numbers.
2. know why you are traveling with tools, i'm serious!
3. know what the tools are going to be used for ! serious again.
4. know what company you are going to work at and contact numbers for them. office, cell, home numbers.
5. box cutters and knives may be confiscated.
6. be prepared to open any tool with a battery and fork over the battery, this may not happen, but be prepared to comply with the request with no questions asked.
I worked with a guy from England, 8 am he was told to get tools and pack foa a weeks trip to the USA.
customs asked him why he was here with the tools and he answered "not a clue". NO JOKE ! that's what he said!

they called me at 11 pm and I had to explain to them in detail why he was in the states. after that, he was cleared to leave.

james

When I have put industrial items in my checked baggage, I put each item in its own bag with a printed data sheet or manual for the item with it. Not sure if it makes a difference but it can’t hurt.

Domestic travel will be easy for ya.

Always check your tool case / box and check your normal luggage as well. With Southwest there's no reason not to check both bags. I only carry on my laptop backpack, and still I always make sure I didn't leave a little screwdriver or two in there before I pack up.

When I'm carrying parts like PLC modules, HMI's, etc. I will put them in my normal luggage since they get a little more padding from the clothes and much easier for the TSA people to inspect (rather than getting all of my tools out of place in my toolbox!)

Internally should be ok, but internationally, be sure that you have all the paperwork ready for said modules... hand carrying them with you will likely break customs laws in the arrival country and it's not nice to be held in jail (with potential repercussions on your ability to work in the country) because of this.

I had a colleague that thought a massive great big valve on a wooden crate wouldn't raise suspicions going through customs and didn't quite enjoy the 24 hour detention at the airport while the company scrambled to get the paperwork sent over to clear him up.

Small electronics aren't so suspicious, but in the event of an ever elusive competent customs official searching you/your bags, can lead to trouble. Luckily for many of us, they are very few and far between.

Small electronics aren't so suspicious, but in the event of an ever elusive competent customs official searching you/your bags, can lead to trouble. Luckily for many of us, they are very few and far between.

I sold an Automation Direct pressure transducer that was "engineering changed" out of a project. Someone in Italy wanted to buy it, but Ebay would not allow the sale saying the item was on their export restriction list.

A 0-3000PSI, 24VDC, 4-20mA output, 1/4NPT pressure transducer could not go to Italy.

+1 for aabeck. I took a lot of tools and a laptop when I was working in Alaska. I guess one could say "never underestimate the quality of idiots that let 18" screwdrivers on the plane but not a cutter." Go figure. And, I tried to take a hammer one time. That's a no-no. I think that was before 9/11 but they sure weren't happy about it.

All tools go in the checked bagage.

If you have PLC parts in the checked bagage, you may run into customs wanting to put import tax on the parts. If the parts are physically small, you may get away with that they are "samples". If the parts look big and important, you can make your case better by having the customer pay for them and you have the payment documents with you, and you present these documents immediately when they stop you. You may then have to pay some tax but not a fine.

If you go to countries where theft (even air-port theft) is a problem (has happened, complete well-kitted tool chests are like candy for the air-port thieves), then buy a set of inexpensive tools that you can just gift away when you are done. The local guys who get the tools will appreciate it and you have friends onsite which is invaluable.
And send these tools ind advance together with the machine/equipment, so you dont have to argue with airport customs about them, and you also dont have to argue that you are merely a supervisor and not going to do "real work".

edit: Ah, a complete post about something that is irrelevant since he said in post #3 that he travels domestic.:angr:

Last edited:
edit: Ah, a complete post about something that is irrelevant since he said in post #3 that he travels domestic.:angr:

LOL... not really its still a good read :)

I never have bags other than a carry on, I ship everything domestic or international, theft is a big problem and this saves you a lot of time in the airports not having to wait for baggage or the hassle of getting lost/ripped off