Which version of Factory Talk?

esp400

On a machine you've never connected to, how do you know which version of Factory Talk View would work? HMI is PVP1250.

Last edited:
Tried that. It doesn't pop up. I do have access to the HMI desktop though. Unable to find anything of relevance. Thx for the suggestion.

You could always upload the .MER file using the latest version. Then convert it to a .app file using the application manager. The prompt will notify you of what version the program was created with.

Bob O's linked thread is DMRoeder's MER version detection tool, and if you have access to the *.MER file that's the best way to learn about its contents.

The configuration menus also definitely have a version information section; I don't have a PV+ handy to walk through the precise series of F-key strokes, but I'm sure it's there.

Right-clicking on a terminal in RSLinx will also let you select Device information, which will tell you something about the communication drivers.

And of course there's a sticker on the back of the logic module that should at least tell you what version was in it when it shipped from the factory.

Much appreciated. I downloaded FT View Studio v6.0 which I think is the cut off for 32 to 64 bit computers (6.1 or later would be 64bit) but I am getting some weird messages dealing with RS Enterprise and suspect that I may be dealing with that today.

The .mer file that I have, I uploaded from the HMI a couple of months back and in between my mother board died. I lost it all. I had the .mer file on our network but my understanding is that you can't move from computer to computer unless it is an .apa.
So my IT guy gives me my coworkers old motherboard (these laptops are really old Dell Latitudes) and now I can see the panel view in RSLinx but not in RS Enterprise in FT. It will not let me add the panelview in FT Communications by right clicking and 'Add Device'. Said it doesn't recognize the bus. I'm also getting Visual Studio 2008 messages to debug.

I might wipe the installation and redownload. I'll try hooking up and right clicking on the panelview to see if it will tell me what version.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I just used the landing zone software. It's showing the project was created for FT View Studio ME 5.1. I'm thinking I should be okay with version 6.0.

The .mer file that I have, I uploaded from the HMI a couple of months back and in between my mother board died. I lost it all. I had the .mer file on our network but my understanding is that you can't move from computer to computer unless it is an .apa.
You can move an .mer or an .apa file between computers. The .mer is the compiled file that the PVP uses to run the application, the .apa is the archived file that you use to save project files between PC's. So yes, an .apa is arguably what is "intended" to be used to move files between PC's, but you can just as easily use an .mer. You just have to select "restore runtime application" instead of "restore application" when loading the project back into FTView Studio.
I just used the landing zone software. It's showing the project was created for FT View Studio ME 5.1. I'm thinking I should be okay with version 6.0.
Correct. v6.0 should be able to restore your v5.1 .mer or .apa file, and will convert it to v6. Then, you have the option to create your new .mer file as a v5.1 file.

Ok. I understand. I am familiar with it. I just don't deal with it on a daily basis. We use mostly C-More HMI's here.

I did try and use the FT Studio 6.0 and I was not able to connect so I removed that and I'm installing FT Studio 5.1 after determining that is what is running.

Can you see the HMI on the network? If so, you should be able to see the firmware revision through RSLinx. Also, if that particular panel can support a higher firmware, I'd recommend flashing it to the latest one.

I did see the revision last week. Someone suggested that I right click on the panel and explore the revision. It was around 3.??. I'm hesitant to flash forward though because we just bought the machine and the builder is being very protective of information. I.E. the wont give us the PLC program ????, we had to ask for the levels of logins for the HMI (and he still didn't give us all of them). If something happened to the machine and we had to have them work on it for whatever reason, I get the impression that they wouldn't appreciate the upgrade.

Is it typical to program a PVP1250 with a 32bit computer at level 5.1 if you're a builder? Am I crazy to think it's time for them to spend some money on hardware and software?

I did see the revision last week. Someone suggested that I right click on the panel and explore the revision. It was around 3.??. I'm hesitant to flash forward though because we just bought the machine and the builder is being very protective of information. I.E. the wont give us the PLC program ????, we had to ask for the levels of logins for the HMI (and he still didn't give us all of them). If something happened to the machine and we had to have them work on it for whatever reason, I get the impression that they wouldn't appreciate the upgrade.

Is it typical to program a PVP1250 with a 32bit computer at level 5.1 if you're a builder? Am I crazy to think it's time for them to spend some money on hardware and software?

PVP1250 should definitely be running v5.1. You shouldn't be able to flash it to anything else since it's an older HMI. No worries there.

You don't need to program in 5.1 or on a 32bit PC. You can use Studio 10 (or 11 which came out last friday) and simply select to build the application for the 5.1 firmware. From my experience, I'd have a server with a Studio v10 environment setup at each site and I would manage applications at different levels. New HMIs would get built as v10; old ones 5.1 or 6.1. Furthermore, I'd push the customers to buy newer screens should the older ones fail.

On the final note, you can also check revisions through the Rockwell Compatibility Center. For example, the PVP1250 may only run 5.1, so that should be an indication.

Hope that helps,
Vlad