OT: New Zealand in October

sapoleon

Ok, I already read the other posts of New Zealand, and I'm eager to be there.
I'll be going just 23 days in October. I don't have an itinerary, but I know I want to dive in Poor Knights. I was reading it is an exceptional place (I'm planning o 2-3 days).

I don't think I can see too much in 23 days, but... I will gladly accept suggestions about where to go and what to see.... trekking and so. Also recommendations on how to move around there. Are the buses and trains OK, or it is preferable to rent a car?

Thanks for your comments.

If you have not been to Alaska or Southern Chile/Argentina you'll think it is a great place. Buy the Lonely Planet book and see what you like. North Island: Kawari trees, Tapo skydive and cool hot springs.
South Island: Johnson Bay, Catlands, do the walk that Kiwis can't afford and the cruise.
STAY AWAY FROM DUSKY and other unmaintained tracks unless you are in great shape. Locals die or get injured all the time. I twisted my ankle on Dusky doing it by myself and it was no fun getting back. Lucky that I have 10 *******e on me plus lots of supplies and equipment.

It's has a very well deserved reputation for it's whitewater rivers if you are into that kind of thing.

Just about everything is great there! I would recommend going around the South Island. I rented a car because the whole trip was only 2 weeks and we wanted to do both islands (ridiculous plan, but it worked out). You can get tour bus tickets and stay at "backpackers" hostels if money is a concern - get one of the backpacker cards ASAP. The "New Zealand" portion of my personal blog might give you some ideas.

http://nathangoestokorea.blogspot.com/search/label/New%20Zealand%20Vacation

sapoleon said:
Ok, I already read the other posts of New Zealand, and I'm eager to be there.
I'll be going just 23 days in October. I don't have an itinerary, but I know I want to dive in Poor Knights. I was reading it is an exceptional place (I'm planning o 2-3 days).

I don't think I can see too much in 23 days, but... I will gladly accept suggestions about where to go and what to see.... trekking and so. Also recommendations on how to move around there. Are the buses and trains OK, or it is preferable to rent a car?

Thanks for your comments.