Control logix and getting SM 50 online Ethernet

remullis

I am having a issue getting a sm-50 soft start online with Ethernet IP. In the 20- comm-e parameters I set up the IP, subnet and gateway. I disabled bootp because I have a known available IP. I created a device in control logix called sm-50-e from the selection list. The Rev n the front side of the SS controller says 4.002 . I set it up as that with the Rev selection. I am not using any data links because the day they just want the motors to run with no feedback info. I repowered drive and it is in the 20 comm, and I've matched in control logix. But I can't make they drive happy. I get the little triangle of death. Should I do a web update? I have no other unit to match to in our network.

When you highlight the soft-start in the I/O tree, there should be some status information that appears at the bottom of the controller organizer for the module.

Or, open the soft-start's I/O definition window and click the "Connection" tab to see the fault code for that connection.

We're looking to see if there's a true failure of connection (usually code 0x0203 or 0204) or an identity mismatch or something else that is giving you the "yellow triangle of death".

Eddie, I'll check those codes. I had to abandon the addition of these devices due to production having to start up. With the true failure of connection, do you mean bad CAT 5 cable? Reason I ask this is we are using a Managed switch and then our electrician brought over a 100bps unmanaged switch and we are just jumping over to this with a patch cable and then plugging 4 soft starts in.

I wanted to summarize what I did so that someone can tell if I'm missing step in this process.

1. I don't have a device to due a "Match".

2. I setup the 20-COMM -E with all the parameters and I setup port 4 which is 20-COMM-E for communication. I am not using any datalinks and they are not enable or used in those parameters. All peer parameters are also not being used. I verified and reverified the IP configurations and all are what I need them.
3. I set Bootp to disabled.
4. In Control Logix I selected SM-50 E which I assume is the Smart Controller with Ethernet. I am using the SM-50. There is also another selection for SM-50ER I am not sure what that device difference means.
5. I setup the IP, Subnet and Gateway to match what is in the drive.
6. Revision on the Controller part of the Soft Start says 4.002. I am not sure if that is the correct revision I should use or not. On the 20-COMM-E card it is at a 5.002. So when setting up this device which rev should I use?
7. I set up the 4.002 and let the system create the device. Once I done this and went online with the processor I am not happy with the triangle showing.

Have I missed any other steps?