Micrologix 1100 Ethernet Ip setup problems.

joshshill1994

Hello, i am a beginner experience level with plc and network setup. the problem i am currently having is when i try to assign an ip address to my micrologix 1100 in the bootp server application, the server shows that the ip address has been assigned and sent to the MAC address but the ip address does not show up on the lcd screen on my plc as assigned and when i try to disable the bootp in the application the status bar is telling me that the communication has been refused.
The setup i have is my plc is currently connected as part of a small trainer kit that i purchased so it is already wired to some switches as inputs and lights/fans as outputs. The laptop i am using only has 1 true ethernet port so i am currently using a ethernet to usb adapter for my internet connection and this uses a cat 6 ethernet cable. the cable i am using to connect to my plc is an orange crossover cable that goes directly into the ethernet port for my laptop.
I have already set my laptop's ip address as static, so i dont think there is a problem there but i could be wrong. I have been trying to setup this ethernet communication with my plc for over a month now and it is getting to be very frustrating. Any help would be greatly apprecated

no, i was under the impression that the disable bootp/dhcp function had to complete in order to be able to cycle power and retain the ip address. When i press the disable bootp/dhcp button it says that it attempts to connect but it fails the requested operation

Bootp is notorious for failing to report successfully disabling BootP even when it did indeed succeed.

It has been my experience that if you don't power cycle the ML1100 (and ML1400) things will churn along just fine for a bit and then communication will begin to falter, so I try to always power cycle right after setting the IP address.

If you aren't sure about whether or not BootP has worked properly, then use the LCD to set the IP address. However, I am not 100% sure all version of the ML1100 allow you to do this from the LCD/buttons. I am pretty sure they all will display it on the LCD.

If you don't have easy access to the physical hardware, then this can be a hindrance.

I would recommend you power cycle the PLC, then check for it to appear in RSLinx.

just to clarify the MAC address you are seeing in the bootp server is that of your M1100 also is your pc MAC address showing up in the bootp server at all.

the other option would be to connect over serial and set your address info, a usb to serial adapter for your laptop is by far IMHO one of the best accessories you can have in your arsenal, unless of course you have on board serial.

and the only other thing I am wondering is where this is a trainer has bootP already been disabled on the unit

Last edited:
OkiePC, i will try to set it up again, and check the status of the ip address after the error message, but even then the ip address does not show up on the lcd under ethernet config in my plc menu.

labeldas: The only Bootp mac adress i am seeing is that of my plc. I dont know if bootp has been disabled on the unit, is there any way to check? i dont think so because in that case it would already have an ip address programmed into the plc which would then show up on the lcd under ethernet config?

The plc communicates fine when i hook it up with the serial cable , i can download and upload programs and everything shows up fine in rslinx and rslogix 500. my main reason to set up ethernet communication is so that i can use my plc with the Factory I/O plant simulation program and it only communicates with the 1100 through ethernet capabilities

I Cycled the power to the plc and made an ethernet ip driver in rslinx and the plc node did not show up at all under the ethernet driver, nor did the ip address show up in the lcd after power cycle

The plc communicates fine when i hook it up with the serial cable , i can download and upload programs and everything shows up fine in rslinx and rslogix 500. ...

Then download serially a program with the IP settings desired and with BootP and DHCP unchecked. Power cycle it afterward, and you should be good to go.

Can you explain to me how i would do that? i know how to download a program to my plc through my serial cable but how would i get the desired ip settings?

you should go set the channel settings in rslogix 500. I dont remember if it is channel 0 or 1 but it should be obvious.

you should go set the channel settings in rslogix 500. I dont remember if it is channel 0 or 1 but it should be obvious.

Yes, in the controller organizer tree on the left, toward the top, double click on Channel Configuration and choose the Channel 1 tab. Channel 0 is the serial port. Channel 1 is Ethernet. As diat150 says, it should be pretty obvious based on the contents of the tabs.

okay i will try it tonight when i get off of work. i will post if i have any more questions, thank you all so much for your help for a beginner!

i tried the method that Diat150 suggested and it worked in assigning an ip address to the controller but rslinx still cannot recognize the plc with a ethernet ip driver. i tried using a ethernet driver and it comes up with the ip address and a question mark icon.

Just a ? or a ? with a red X...
If just the ?, try to right click the ? [I think] and upload EDS file.

Last edited: