AB DeviceNet Problem

Grizzly Adams

I have an older machine controlled by AB 5/05 processor with a DeviceNet card in slot 9 that communicates with a remote I/O rack. An input card failed and the only replacement is one with a higher Firmware revision. I can't see the remote rack via RSLinx to be able to use RSNetworx. Could someone steer me in the right direction?

you're not giving us much to go on - but the following MIGHT help to get you started ...

start up RSNetworx for DeviceNet ... on the top menu, click "Network" - then "Online" ...

from the description of your problem, you'll probably need to "drill down" through the display until you (hopefully) see the network that you need ...

TIP: watch the little "OK" button at the bottom of the browse window ... it should "light up" when you've reached a valid entry point - it will be "greyed out" otherwise ...

good luck ... and welcome to the forum ...

It's been a while, so I may be wrong, but I don't think you need to use RSNetworx if you're merely replacing a card with a similar card, albeit with different firmware.

The primary function RSNetworx for DeviceNet is to set up a "mapping file" for the PLC & its SDN scanner and remote ADN, so that everyone agrees where each card is "packed".

Since there is no change to the data structure (assuming the card you're replacing has the same number of channels as the original), then no new configuration "should" be required. (How I hate that word 'should', though).

What is it that you are / are not seeing (besides RSLinx not browsing the DeviceNet network) that makes you think there's a problem?

You have to setup a DeviceNet 1747-SDNPT Driver in RSLinx to see the DeviceNet Devices. As well, the DeviceNet Scanner Card must be setup properly to allow Pass-Through.

Stu....

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

When you say "An input card failed", what exact model of input card are you describing ? What "remote rack" are you talking about; is it POINT I/O, or something else ? Be as specific as you can.

One of the features that we take for granted in the ControlLogix platform is the ability to "drill down" through a controller to access a lower-level network.

In the SLC-5/0x controllers this is possible with the "1747-SDNPT" driver, but even that driver relies on the correct 1747-SDN firmware, configuration data file sizes, and RSLinx revision, as well as an active and correctly installed network.

Ideally you'll have a direct connection to the network via a serial (1770-KFD) or card (1784-PCD) or USB (1784-U2DN) connection to access both the Scanner and the input card you're trying to replace.

Once you do establish communications, it might be as simple as de-selecting the "Electronic Keying" section of the 1747-SDN Scanlist entry for that input module so that the system will accept any firmware revision.