You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old July 19th, 2018, 09:56 AM   #1
_Dock_
United States

Lightbulb Laser distance measuring (Time of Flight)

Has anyone used any of the laser distance measurement sensor, specifically time of flight type? Im thinking about trying one of these to do some positioning. The applications I have to use them are not best suited for an encoder. Right now we are using discrete with prox sensors and it can be a bear to get setup in the field.

If so, what were your thoughts? pros, cons, issues? I plan to use I/O link so I can read the actual value instead of using the discrete outputs. I will have a little more flexibility there. Just a little nervous as Ive never used any type of laser measuring device, ive always used encoders.

Thanks,
Old July 19th, 2018, 11:18 AM   #2
kamenges
United States

We have used this technology from Sick, Banner and Allen-Bradley. I know Keyence also has this available but we haven't tried them yet.

Our current favorite is the Sick DT35. We use this for incoming roll diameter measurement as well as rough positioning of accumulator carriages. If you are looking at them as prox replacers they would certainly be able to handle that. If you are going to use I/O Link you should be able to get millimeter resolution out of it.

The only real issue I have run into with them is that they seem to be surface color sensitive. I have no idea why this would be the case with a time of flight device but it seems to be. Also keep in mind that the specified maximum range is with a bright white target. If you are shooting at darker targets your maximum range will reduced due to lack of return light.

Keith
Old July 19th, 2018, 12:02 PM   #3
thingstodo
Canada

+1 on Sick and Banner

We're using a retro-reflective tape on our Banner installs.

The older SICK units we have work from 0 - 25 meters with white gloss paint as the target. We clean them when the signal gets intermittent ... but it is feedback to operations on a position and they are controlling the position. No bad things happen if the sensor goes offline.

Last edited by thingstodo; July 19th, 2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old July 19th, 2018, 12:09 PM   #4
John Morris
United States

https://www.acuitylaser.com/products...istance-sensor

Used this to fact check an encoder for a trolley placement.

It will pretty munch measure the diameter of a nat's ***

loop powered 24 vdc

set up programming is free, and there is plenty of support.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if it kept its mouth shut."
(I should probably look into this)
Old July 19th, 2018, 12:12 PM   #5
GaryS
United States

I would recommend a Laser system over limit switches
I have been recommending and using them for years Fast install and very accurate.
For best results I recommend you use reflective target.
The brand would depend n the distance you want to measure and the resolution you are looking for.
Old July 27th, 2018, 07:53 PM   #6
_Dock_
United States

Thanks for the responses. I feel a little more at ease to hear that others have had success. I’m confident in our abilities to make it successful but still Leary of the hardware.
Old July 27th, 2018, 09:11 PM   #7
califflash
United States

I’ve used the Keyence LR-T and was very impressed with it. My application was not a distance measurement application so cannot speak to that. I had to use a time of flight since I was detecting products of varying color, emissivity, shape (inconsistent round edges), and transmissiveness. The TOF sensors are very impressive and I wouldn’t hesitate to try one if I needed distance measurement and could set up ideal or semi-ideal conditions.

I would not expect accuracy better than 1-3mm though. If you need a better accuracy than that over a long distance I would look to a cable encoder or mounting an encoder wheel to the device that is moving.
Old July 27th, 2018, 09:26 PM   #8
Peter Nachtwey
United States

What kind of accuracy to you get?
Think of the frequency of the counter required to get 1mm resolution.
The rise time of the detected signal will cause a lot of variation.
Old July 28th, 2018, 07:53 AM   #9
roxusa
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

What is your min/max distance, I am currently using:
OPT2011 Wenglor photoelectric laser sensor, diffuse, 50 x 50 x 20mm, Class 1 laser light emission, 0.05-3.05m sensing distance, 18-30 VDC operating voltage, NPN/PNP, 0-10 VDC or 4-20 mA analog output, 4-pin M12 quick-disconnect.
Automation Direct $300
Old July 28th, 2018, 05:06 PM   #10
United States

http://www.ifm.com/products/us/ds/O1D100.htm
We started using these a few years ago and have been very satisfied. If you have a very dusty or steamy environment, you could have problems with false reflections. The lens is reasonably tolerant of crud but that's another thing to consider. Grease the connector threads in a caustic washdown environment.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum