Data Export Question

Irish

Hi all!

I've got a quick question about exporting data from a PLC program that I have. The processor is a Micrologix 1400, and I'm using RSLinx Classic Lite V2.57. I've done some searching on here, and serveral posts have said that you can't use the lite version to do DDE/OPC. However, my version has that option as drop down box. Will it work?

The second part is this: The machine is a pressure tester for a product, and I've got a specific value (the actual pressure that the product bursts at) that I want to export into an excel file after every cycle. I also want to export the date, time, and part number from files that are stored in the PLC/HMI. I want each cycle to fill in a data table on excel for a range, ie A,B,C,D 1 through 50. Is this possible to do with DDE?

Thanks very much for your time.

Hi,

DDE is great for monitoring the current values in the PLC but thats as far as I would take it. You could add some macros to a workbook to do data logging that has DDE connections but that is going to be unreliable because Excel has to be open all the time.

XLReporter overcomes the problems of DDE by adding information to a Excel report worksheet automatically and in the background. It also has the capability of saving the data to a database if you need long term archiving. Try the evaluation version from http://www.TheReportCompany.com/product_download.htm.

Jim,

Thanks very much for your response. I've checked out XLReporter before, and it looks great. However, this specific project is a one off machine that has it's own stand alone PC hooked to it full time.

You mentioned macros in the workbook, something that I'm not familiar with. Can anyone explain how this is done with DDE, or point me in the right direction?

Thanks again!

Hey all,

I ran across this old post while doing some research for an app to make an excel file with data pulled from RSLogix 500.

this XLReporter looks like the ticket, but it doesn't look like the OP or Jim at SyTech have been here for 6 years.

anyone else had experience with this product, or know of a similar app?

Regards
JohnR

I have one Micrologix 1400 doing read messages from 12 other PLC's and send all the data to my office PC running RSLinx Gateway onto an Excel Spread sheet that is constantly running

thanks all for the input.
I went to their website and downloaded the demo.
don't like the fact they don't just give you an upfront price,
you gotta fill out a bunch of stuff and submit for a quote.
can anyone guesstimate the price for a single seat package?

JohnR

I'm rather surprised no-one recommended AdvancedHMI. While it should be somple to log it to a csv file, it is based on Visual Studio, so working with Excel files directly should be possible.

well, that's pretty cool, have not delved into the excel part yet, but built a quick little project with some displays reading some values from a machine I have online, amazingly simple.....

JohnR