Looking for a Valve Positioner 4-20ma in digital pulse out

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
Not sure what to call it or any model numbers, I know I have seen them in the past. It takes a 4-20ma input for control, reads a 4-20 for valve position, and it pulses 2 solenoids 2 open/close a valve. They usually have open and close digital inputs on them where you tie in limit switches for fully open and fully closed. anyone have any idea?

I've probably used 10 different valve positioners over the years, and every one has had
- 4-20mA input control signal
- mechanical linkage to read the valve position for feedback

The full open or full closed limit switches are sometimes an optional module on the positioner, other times the limit switches are stand-alone options. The limit switches typically are feedback to the control system DI, not a position DI.

Most have had a Digital input option, typically to force the positioner to a given state or as an input for a valve proving cycle.

The specific functionality of a digital input would require research.

Siemens uses 2 piezo valves to source air to the actuator ports, not sure if others do or not.

yes, this is a little different. Its not something mounted directly to the valve, but a electronic module that is mounted in a box some distance away from the valve. The valve would have 2 solenoids mounted on it and the way it works is that the positioner or controller if you will, takes the 4-20 from a plc output and pulses the solenoids to move the valve to the correct percent using a valve position indicator that is mounted on the valve. Additionally, it takes the open/close limit switches from the valve position indicator and will shut off the pulsing of the solenoid if the limit switch for that command is made.

I guess I could easily build this in the plc but I was searching for one the other day and found one but forgot to bookmark it. Just wondering if anyone else may have seen something like this. I think it would work better in this application because of the type of valve.

Sounds like you might be talking about a PWM Valve Driver Board. I haven't personally used one with position feedback, or limits, but they might be available with those options??