slc 5/04 serial comm problem with panel view plus 600

simmo231

dear all, i need help, i have a slc 5/04 connected to a programmed panel view plus 600 serial 232 port df-1, when the pvp resets its message banner pops up saying that its df-1 driver has auto configured and is started however i have no information going back and fore the two units.. i have the correct cable, i have the pvp set to auto configure and not sure about the slc channel 0 settings but i have tried most of them with no luck. basically i cant get my pvp to communicate properly with my slc serial port.. please help

Is this a system that worked at one time, but has stopped working ? Or is it a system you are configuring for the first time ?

I prefer to use the default settings on the PanelView Plus and the SLC-5/0x controller, rather than using the AutoConfigure feature in the PV+. Just set both sides for DF1 Full Duplex 19200 baud, CRC error checking, 8 data bits/No parity/1 stop bit.

If the SLC-5/04 is not responding to the PanelView Plus, you will get error messages on the PV+ indicating timeouts of requests to the controller.

What are the symptoms you see on the PV+ terminal ?

What is the exact Model Number of your PanelView Plus?

Are you sure the SLC Port is set for DF1, and not DH485?

Stu....

I have a PVP600 talking to a 1747-L532B 5/03 over serial with the following communication settings.

PLC-CH0
DF1 Full Duplex
No Parity
Source ID - 1
No Handshaking
BCC Error Detection

Panelview Plus Serial Comms
Com Port 1
Device SLC or MicroLogix
Station Number 0
1 Stop Bit
No Parity
BCC Error Checking
3000 ms Ack/Poll Timeout
3 max retries

I remember having troubles trying to use auto configure when setting up RS232 comms and have always found it easier to manually set up the communications. I also have found it useful to plug into the PLC directly with my laptop and test the project from there to verify settings through RSLinx. If you are able to see the PLC in the communications tab of FactoryTalk View Studio, you can at least determine the PLC end is OK.

Thanks for replies all,
marcwand:- your settings look like what i have,

sthompson:- not sure of exact number at the mo but its the 600 touch with rs232 port only and the slc is defo on df-1.

ken:- this is a new system, my first play with the "plus" panel views, when i re boot the pv with cables disconnected its message says unable to configure df-1 port 1 etc as you would expect i then connect the cable it retries and says the df-1 has configured and driver is active (or somethin along those lines) so at this point i would expect to see the comms lights active and some sort of data transfer but nothing happens. im not sure if i have addresed my slc tags correct in the tag database but i still would expect to see some action when the driver says its active ...... i converted a panelbuilder 32 programme into rsview and it set the tags for me ( example ::{slc}b3:0/2 )

Simmo,

Are you able to go online to the PLC with a serial connection on your laptop?

If so you will be able to set up the comms in your design tab and you will be able to browse directly online to the PLC tags from the programming software.

To set up the comms you have to configure RSLinx Enterprise by assigning a browsing shortcut, create a comms path (serial), configure the device (SLC), and drill down to assign that comms path and device to your shortcut. Apply those changes. You should then be able to browse online to the tags in the PLC to assign them to a status indicator for example.

Set a few tags like this, then test the panelview screen with the programming software by hitting the play button in the top left corner of RSView. You should then see the status indicators change live on your laptop. PLC comms are then verified.

Once this is verified you then need to open up the comms setup under RSLinx Enterprise, hit the buttom that says copy from design to runtime. This copies the comms path to the comms setup that gets compiled with the runtime project. Click on the runtime tab to ensure that the setup has been copied over.

When downloading to the panelview click on the box that says replace communications. This loads the comms setup into the panelview with the project.

You can verify the panelview comms setup by opening up the panelviews configuration and having a look to see what is in the RSLinx Enterprise section. The paths and shortcuts there should look the same as the RSLinx Enterprise setup you had on your laptop.

If you cannot get online to the PLC, you can manually setup the comms in the runtime tab of the RSLinx Enterprise setup, but you still must select the box to say replace comms when you download to the panelview.

Sorry if I am being a bit vague or basic here... you stated that this is your first panelview plus, so I am not sure how familiar you are with the program. I am also just going off of memory here as well...

Might be enough to get you out of trouble.

Good luck.

¿Es este un sistema que funcionó en algún momento, pero dejó de funcionar? ¿O es un sistema que estás configurando por primera vez?

Prefiero usar la configuración predeterminada en PanelView Plus y el controlador SLC-5/0x, en lugar de usar la función AutoConfigure en PV+. Simplemente configure ambos lados para DF1 Full Duplex 19200 baudios, verificación de errores CRC, 8 bits de datos/Sin paridad/1 bit de parada.

Si el SLC-5/04 no responde al PanelView Plus, recibirá mensajes de error en el PV+ que indican tiempos de espera de las solicitudes al controlador.

¿Cuáles son los síntomas que ve en el terminal PV+?
¿Cómo se configura la pantalla para DH+?