Online Editing

wsmith308

I was wondering, is possible to remove IO_AIN and replace the instruction with another one without getting offline in RS Logix 5000

Very probably yes. All ControlLogix controllers support online editing, in every edition except the "Studio 5000 Service Edition".

That isn't the name of an instruction I am familiar with; is it a custom Add-On Instruction ?

Very probably yes. All ControlLogix controllers support online editing, in every edition except the "Studio 5000 Service Edition".

That isn't the name of an instruction I am familiar with; is it a custom Add-On Instruction ?
Yes sir it is. When I go to edit the parameters in this instruction, it wants to change the parameters for all the instruments using this add on instruction. So I figure I need to delete it with a new one.

Can you explain in more detail what you are doing ?

In general, every instance of an Add-On Instruction is has its own uniquely named "backing tag", with a Data Type that uses the same name as the Add-On Instruction, that holds the constants and variables acted on by that instance.

You can't edit the actual logic inside an AOI, or its structure, online during runtime.

Do you have multiple instances of the AOI with the exact same Tag ?

Screenshots are always helpful; use the snipping tool, save it as a PNG, then attach it to your post using the Attach Files feature down in the Additional Options section under the reply editing window, before clicking Submit Reply.

The way I handle problems like this is to make a copy of the AOI, rename the copy so you end up with a new instance of the AOI. Then make any edits needed in the new instance (your copy) of the AOI and download everything to the controller. It does require a download, but any changes to an AOI will require that. Plus, it keeps you from having to trace out all instances of the original AOI and keeps you from jamming a conveyor with a few hundred boxes that were supposed to be spaced out and then spending a couple hours cleaning up the mess you made. Or so I have heard....

Bubba.