Major Fault 0389h

Bering C Sparky

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,
Long time no see.
Just got back on the ship in Dutch Harbor. The moment I walk on my counterpart tells me we have a major fault on the only "Allen Bradley" PLC we have. (They use AD on here)
The Micrologix 1400 is in our incinerator, the program is proprietary and password protected.
I was able to get the fault code from the onboard LCD (0389h) but not having a lot of luck finding what this fault code actually is.
My counterpart said he looked it up and found it had to do with expansion module #3. Can't say where he got that information as I have not been able to find it on the internet. (#3 expansion module is a 1762-IF2OF2)

We have no AB software onboard, its been 4 years since I touched a AB PLC and I cannot remember my password to the AB information data base online. (Lucky I was able to remember the password to this forum)

Could someone please tell me.....
What is this fault code?
Can it be cleared without the use of RSLogix 500 software?

I have tried the following with no joy.
Powering the PLC on and off.
Switching from Run to Program and back on the LCD
Changing out expansion module #3 then repeating 1 & 2 above.

Starting to think I am going to have call around and borrow a laptop with AB software from another vessel, but not even sure anymore if that will do me any good, since I know for a fact the program is password protected.
I remember trying to make some changes in to this PLC 4 years ago when I first got on this vessel and could not due it being locked down.

I do have a brand new PLC that just arrived from the vendor and is supposedly preloaded with the correct program.
But I do not believe a new PLC is actually going to be the fix to this problem, so I would like to exhaust any other options before trying to swap out the entire 1400 controller.

Not a great moment when a 1400 has me dead in the water from a fault, but without the software I think I may have gone as far as I am able for the moment.

Will keep hunting around online to see if I can find this fault code and will check back to see if anyone replies to this post.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

(I see my PM box is 90% full as well....guess that's bound to happen when you have not checked it for a long period of time, will look through it after I get this problem sorted and we are underway)

I just found this in the 1400 manual online and I am assuming this is also what my counterpart found when he determined the fault had something to do with one of the I/O expansion modules.
I am also assuming he came to the conclusion that it was expansion module #3 since the fault we are getting has 03 preceding the 89 (xx89)

Still searching for more info myself but anything you might be able to add would be greatly appreciated.

xx89 error.jpg

Good to see you again!

According to TechNote
450490 Access Level: Everyone

You have a non-recoverable problem in module 3, and you need to refer to the I/O status file
If you have tried swapping that module already, then I'm going to make a WAG that it either needs clearing in the software, or you have a problem with something connected to the module.

Good luck, and holler if you need more help.

Bubba.

Have you tried disconnecting the cables that go to that module, then doing the keyswitch thing?

Have you checked the pins on all the connections for the modules? I got burnt once when the fault was for module "x" but the issue was a bent pin on module "y" 2 slots away.

Have you tried disconnecting the cables that go to that module, then doing the keyswitch thing?

Have you checked the pins on all the connections for the modules? I got burnt once when the fault was for module "x" but the issue was a bent pin on module "y" 2 slots away.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I did try to power up the PLC and switch from run to program and back with the conductors for the analog I/O disconnected from the module also.
Fault remained.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I did try to power up the PLC and switch from run to program and back with the conductors for the analog I/O disconnected from the module also.
Fault remained.

Being a "non-recoverable fault" I'm guessing that it will need to be reset in the program, but hopefully somebody smarter than me will not be able to sleep and have a better answer for you soon.

Sent you a PM that you might want to take a gander at......
The short answer is that all indications are that you have to go online with the controller to clear the fault.

Last edited:
I managed to borrow a laptop from one the ships owned by the previous company I worked for.

Program was totally gone in the PLC.
Battery status bit did not show the battery as dead.
And everyone swears no one factory rest the PLC.
So not sure how the program ended up lost.

Confirmed the expansion module #3 fault in the software as well.
Which seems odd because since the program was totally wiped out there were not even any expansion modules configured.
So why would it fault as module #3? (There are a total of 5 expansion modules physically in place.

Installed the new PLC and of course the I/O terminals were just a bit different from the old 1400 to the new one. So I could not swap the terminals over from one brick to the other. Had to remove every conductor from the old brick and reinstall them on the new brick.

Could not have reset the fault using the software had the program still existed anyway.
You get a prompted for a password before you can even connect to the PLC if security has been activated. So it would seam having the software is useless if the PLC is locked down.

Will give the incinerator a test run sometime tomorrow after we get off the dock.
Blowing 70 out right now and very cold, so its a good time to call it a night.

Hi my friend. Good to hear from you, even though it's usually under somewhat stressful circumstances.

I'll try shed light on some of this...

Bering C Sparky said:
...Program was totally gone in the PLC.
Battery status bit did not show the battery as dead.
And everyone swears no one factory rest the PLC.
So not sure how the program ended up lost.

Confirmed the expansion module #3 fault in the software as well.
Which seems odd because since the program was totally wiped out there were not even any expansion modules configured.
So why would it fault as module #3?
(There are a total of 5 expansion modules physically in place...

It's possible a critical hardware fault was detected for this expansion I/O module at slot #3 and the processor cleared its memory to protect itself. The last fault code recorded could be what you are viewing via the LCD menu. When the controller faults, the fault code is stored in memory for the LCD display. As far as I can remember, this memory is not cleared, even if the fault has caused the processor to clear its own memory. This allows a "walk up" way of checking what likely caused the controller go out of Run Mode and into Fault Mode. You can also browse to the controller's IP address using a web browser and view the fault via its web server.

There is also the possibility that when you tried swapping the analog module out, its default dip switch setting for current input did not match with a possible running program configured for voltage input? This type of misconfiguration will definitely throw a xx89h error...

18051 - 1762-IF2OF2 MicroLogix analog input/output module: error xx89h
Access Level: TechConnect

(It basically says the same as I've outlined)

Bering C Sparky said:
...Installed the new PLC and of course the I/O terminals were just a bit different from the old 1400 to the new one. So I could not swap the terminals over from one brick to the other. Had to remove every conductor from the old brick and reinstall them on the new brick...

This doesn't sound right? The removable terminal block on the MicroLogix 1400 (P/N 1762-RPLRTB40) is the same on all Standard and Analog models. They are designed to facilitate easily replacing any MicroLogix 1400 model with another. Of course, careful consideration would have to be made in these cases with regard to what signals and voltages are present on the existing RTB's, but they should physically fit the new controller.

Are you positive both controllers are MicroLogix 1400? Check the hardware Series as well. But I don't recall any physical changes made to the RTB's between hardware Series?

Bering C Sparky said:
...Could not have reset the fault using the software had the program still existed anyway...

Another option is to enable the Fault Override at Power-Up bit (S:1/8), and the Mode Behavior bit (S:1/12). If the fault condition is no longer present at power-up, the Fault Override will attempt to clear the fault and the Mode Behaviour will attempt to go to Run Mode. If the fault is still present at power-up, the controller will enter Fault Mode again.

Bering C Sparky said:
...You get a prompted for a password before you can even connect to the PLC if security has been activated. So it would seam having the software is useless if the PLC is locked down...

Yes, if a password has been set for the program then you cannot access it without the correct password. You could alternatively try clear the password protected program from the controller's memory by entering the memory clear password MLCLRMEM. Because the password for these controllers is numerical only, you must enter this password using its numerical equivalent as derived from an alphanumeric telephone keypad...

Screenshot_20200209-220900_Phone.jpg

...have you figured it out?...65257636...well done. Of course, you would only attempt this if you have a valid copy of the program from the OEM (either with the password given or with no password set). Also note that for the MicroLogix 1400 at FRN 15 or later, you can no longer use the MLCLRMEM password. You would have to flash the firmware to clear the controller's memory. There were also Enhanced Security features added in RSLogix 500 v11 where the password authentication is now carried out in the controller itself, as opposed to previously in the software.

Bering C Sparky said:
...Will give the incinerator a test run sometime tomorrow after we get off the dock.
Blowing 70 out right now and very cold, so its a good time to call it a night.

Hope she burns rubber!...Bon Voyage and stay safe, stay warm! We've just had Storm Ciara blowing through at 120 last two days. Snow and icy conditions forecast for next few days at the tail end, and some are still singing Spring is in the air?

Best regards,
George

Oh Jebus!

Now that's a keypad, isn't it?

Apologies, I posted that image up while on my mobile yesterday and didn't realize the actual size it's displaying at until I opened it on my PC today :oops:

Although, in another few years I'll probably need it that big on my mobile?...while my kids are laughing at me...

..."you actually still dial in numbers?"...

..."Yes, I do...and you know what?...sometimes, I actually meet the person at the other end, face to face"...

..."Really?"...

G.