PLC Programming / Automation Engineering Masters Program

alive15

Hello, is there a recommended field to pursue plc / automation / robot / manufacturing engineering? My friend recommended not pursuing a Master's degree in electrical, but rather, going for a masters in industrial engineering to get management positions at manufacturing companies or higher-level engineering positions. Even perhaps an MBA degree. Which degree would be the best for "management positions at manufacturing companies or higher-level engineering positions" ?

Thanks!

Our state college offer degrees in mechatronics.

Even perhaps an MBA degree.
That is a much different goal but...
I don't know how other companies work but when I got out of the navy I ended up managing the software ( controls and automation ) department in two months because they found out I really knew what I was doing.

It makes me cringe that a degree alone can get you a management position. Technical expertise and communication skills are very helpful.

Don't get too hung up on the PLC stuff. PLC change. Everything changes. Learn what doesn't change.

The most important question about a Master's degree is "what do you want it for?" Please don't take that to mean I don't think you should get one, but you should be getting one for a reason.

Do you want to become an expert in control algorithms and the math behind them, and stay an engineer? Then an engineering masters could make sense.

Do you want to learn how to run a business, to try to climb the corporate ladder? then an MBA might make sense.

If your desired path to management is via the factory, then a masters in industrial engineering could be a middle ground between hard engineering and full on business.

I believe most degrees related to management force you to get some type of internship or experience in order to graduate.

But which master's degree would be best for plc programming / automation is what I am looking for.

I believe most degrees related to management force you to get some type of internship or experience in order to graduate.

But which master's degree would be best for plc programming / automation is what I am looking for.

IMO, they are two very different paths.

For the first part, most management or engineering management master program do require experiences for good reasons. The problem of know-nothing management in charge of technical people is already epidemic.

For automation specifically, it depend on what type of automation. An EE/CS combination for supply chain. A Chemical Engr for process control. A MS in Robotic (Carnegine Mellon) for robotic.. etc. etc..

IMO, they are two very different paths.

For the first part, most management or engineering management master program do require experiences for good reasons. The problem of know-nothing management in charge of technical people is already epidemic.

For automation specifically, it depend on what type of automation. An EE/CS combination for supply chain. A Chemical Engr for process control. A MS in Robotic (Carnegine Mellon) for robotic.. etc. etc..

A degree in Computer Science for supply chain? That doesn't sound right to me.

Also, I don't see the connection between chemical engr and process control either. I have heard of automation / robotics degrees, I thought that was very interesting.

Does anyone on the forum have some kind of masters degree in the automation / industrial / manufacturing field and would share what degree they have and what job they do with this degree?

Thanks,

Also, I don't see the connection between chemical engr and process control either.

"Process Control" usually means chemical processes: things like oil refineries. Therefore chemical engineering (presumably with a focus on control) would be a logical choice.

Hello, I am re-igniting this thread, as I have another question. What do you think about an MBA degree for working in the factory? What all could I do with that? I noticed at my factory anyways, the managers aren't heavily involved in the engineering work, they are normally delegating tasks to engineers, operators, techs, quality, etc. They seem to go to a lot of meetings also; mainly managing employees, making sure parts are made, etc.

I have seen other engineers, who don't have MBAs, become promoted into managers as well, so would MBA even be worth it? Would a company give you the extra pay raise just from having the MBA degree?

A friend of mine has an MBA, and was basically in outside sales for a steel plant, going into all the OEM's (big 3), suppliers, etc. for many years. He then went into his own business for a while before finishing his career as an officer with border security. (Canada). He has said it helped him immensely in his life. Probably couldn't hurt. It would certainly help with cost/benefit ratio knowledge in manufacturing. JMHO.

Do one in medicine & become a doctor, over here it has been reported that some doctors are earning in excess of £600,000 per year, 5 times that of poor old Boris the PM. it's disgusting.