Ladder Logic Program Assistance Needed

IrishDave45

I need to create a very specific PLC ladder logic program and have tried for days and can't get it to function the way I need it to. Is there anyone who I can speak with that can help me create this program from scratch?

You can speak openly about the program and requirements and what you’ve tried.

Unless you worried your teacher will check the forum. :)

Before attempting to write a program from scratch, you should define all of your inputs/outputs, then write yourself a functional description of what your thing is and how exactly it should work. Having a step by step written down will help you write the logic. When you need help here, you can share that functional spec and your logic, people can help you where you are stuck.

Need Build Assistance

Will be using an AB Micro Logix 1200 Trainer.
need to have the following criteria...4 way intersection...so one set of outputs controls east/west and the other controls north/south. Minimum of 60 seconds green light on one and maximum of 30 seconds on the other (when traffic is present on that street). Controlled pedestrian cross walks on both. 10 seconds to cross...so 10 seconds solid walk, then 10 seconds flashing do not walk and then solid do not walk as long as the lights are red or yellow and the do not walk flasher is done. inputs must be..
Input 0= run/start switch
Input 1&2 = sensors for east/west traffic
Input 3-6 = push button pedestrians to walk north/south
Inputs 7-10 = push buttons to walk across east/west
the cross walk push buttons I can just use one input and wire them all together I think...
Output 0 = red light north/south
Output 1 = Yellow light north/south
Output 2 = Green light north/south
Output 3 = walk light across east/west
Output 4 = do not walk east/west (this must flash for 10 seconds then go solid til it is ready for walk again)
Output 5 = red light east/west
Output 6 = yellow light east/west
Output 7 = green light east/west
Output 8 = walk light north/south
Output 9 = do not walk north/south ( this also must flash for 10 secs then go solid until it is ready to switch back to walk)

Oh and I forgot to mention that there should be 6 states...
red/red
red/green
red/yellow
red/red
green/red
yellow/red
and he wants a subroutine in this as well...which honestly if I can just get something that will get me a passing grade I don't care about the subroutine. I am taking this course to get entry level in maintenance...he has already told us that you would need to be on the job for at least 3-5 years and taken specialty programming courses before the companies even let you near their industrial PLCs so I am not sure why he is wasting so much of our class time on this.

has already told us that you would need to be on the job for at least 3-5 years and taken specialty programming courses before the companies even let you near their industrial PLCs so I am not sure why he is wasting so much of our class time on this.

That’s not true and depends on the employer and your interest and attitude.

If your trying to get a job at a desk as a programmer, then yes. If you are in industrial maintenance you WILL interact with a PLC and have to touch them on a regular basis. If you know basic programming and how to troubleshoot logic then you will be more valuable and make more money.

If you want to clean, grease bearings, and blame everything on programming, then you are wasting your time.

Need Build Assistance

Here is what I have so far...but this only accounts for the light for north/south...or as he has them Main St. It does not have the flashing for the do not walk, the lights,do not walk both steady and flashing and walk lights for east/west...or as he calls them 9th st. It also doesn't have a subroutine or the sensors for 9th st.

You have to resize the pictures to be smaller or use a hosting site.

I do feel your pain though, I absolutely hate traffic light simulators. I think it’s a subconscious things, because everyone hates traffic lights. So naturally you will have no interest and more frustration.