5069-SERIAL module

Firejo

There has been a few posts recently where the 5069-SERIAL module was the topic or at least part of the topic and in those conversations some questions were asked about DF1 compatibility. Well shortly before Automation Fair I received one but my 5069 was tied up in my AB Fair display so I wasn't able to do anything with it.

Well now I have, and the first thing I did was update the firmware released in January which gives it DF1 Full Duplex, Half Duplex (master and slave), Radio modem and DH485 capabilities. The firmware upgrade was a little tricky as the firmware doesn't use a DMK file. So after several hours of fussing around I called Rockwell and found out that you need ControlFLASH 15.03.00 or higher and wound up discovering on my own that it actually requires ControlFLASH PLUS. Once I ran that, I was able to tree down to the module and upgrade its firmware.

But wait, there's more! After the upgrade, RSLinx would identify it with the correct firmware (2.011) but Studio 5000 would not. That required an AOP to be installed. Once I got through all of that it showed up with the correct firmware version and I could configure it with port 2 as a DF1 port (port 1 is Modbus only).

But wait, there's even more! Yes it's a DF1 port BUT... it's a DF1 PCCC port, not CIP. That one surprised me! So when connecting the 5069-SERIAL modules port 2, to a Gateway device, you have to setup the SLC Mapping table and use "N" register nomenclature (I'm guessing "B" and "F" files would work as well but I've not tested that yet) on the Gateway side to communicate with it. What I need to test (when I find more time) is will I have to use a SLC Mapping table on both sides of a DF1 Full Duplex connection if I use another Logix processor? I don't know why anyone would want to do that but the OCD in me has to find out if and how it works.

Thanks for this. I will be following your work on this especially with radio modems. Some of our customers will insist on sticking with Allen-Bradley to replace Micrologix when they inevitably go away and for Compactlogix, this will be our only choice for RS232 comms.

I might be involved in a project using this new module, but the bid is just for a panel construction and installation (programming done by others). If I get the award and have an opportunity to view the code they end up using, I'll share what I can glean.

That's sounds like a lot of hassle to me. For $300 more , I'd get an RTA module.
No messy running long serial cable back to the main panel /rack

Ive used the 5069-SERIAL for some RS232 panel mount printers. I had only ever done the coding using AWA instructions in a ML1400, so it was a bit of a learning curve to say the least to get the hang of it in not only Compactlogix world, but with this module in particular. In the end though, it wasnt overly difficult and the code has been running since it was deployed so thats always a good thing.

Thanks for this. I will be following your work on this especially with radio modems. Some of our customers will insist on sticking with Allen-Bradley to replace Micrologix when they inevitably go away and for Compactlogix, this will be our only choice for RS232 comms.

I might be involved in a project using this new module, but the bid is just for a panel construction and installation (programming done by others). If I get the award and have an opportunity to view the code they end up using, I'll share what I can glean.

I wish I could say that I'll be testing it with radio modems but I don't live in that world anymore and while I do have a fair number of serial and Ethernet radio's I simply don't have the time to test them.

As to using it to communicate with legacy DF1 devices, the biggest issue I see with that is the two devices (the 5069 and old DF1 device) would need to be fundamentally co-located unless you are using radios. However if both devices had easy access to an Ethernet network, then I would use a Ethernet to DF1 Gateway. Depending on the unit you pick it would be less expensive, a lot more flexible and easier to set up (again, depending on which one you pick). RTA does build some nice units however I think the one in the link below is a lot easier to use than any of the others. It also has multiple protocols in one box rather than having to buy something that is protocol specific.

https://www.spectrumcontrols.com/products/universal-gateway/

I wish I could say that I'll be testing it with radio modems but I don't live in that world anymore and while I do have a fair number of serial and Ethernet radio's I simply don't have the time to test them.

As to using it to communicate with legacy DF1 devices, the biggest issue I see with that is the two devices (the 5069 and old DF1 device) would need to be fundamentally co-located unless you are using radios. However if both devices had easy access to an Ethernet network, then I would use a Ethernet to DF1 Gateway. Depending on the unit you pick it would be less expensive, a lot more flexible and easier to set up (again, depending on which one you pick). RTA does build some nice units however I think the one in the link below is a lot easier to use than any of the others. It also has multiple protocols in one box rather than having to buy something that is protocol specific.

https://www.spectrumcontrols.com/products/universal-gateway/

We have dozens of customers with hundreds of serial radio modems. A couple of them have more than a dozen per system. They are not going to pony up thousands of dollars to swap them all to ethernet radios just to add one more node or repair an old one.

Some of them use DF1 Half Duplex. Most of those that I have had my hands on are switched to DF1 Radio protocol. If the spectrum module supports those two variations and I can sandwich it in between a Compactlogix and a serial radio modem, it would surely be as worthy of consideration as the 5069-SERIAL.

I have had some experiences with UHF Ethernet Radio Modems and they were not great ones. The Cal Amp Viper was a such a PITA, I finally threw up my hands and swapped them all (8 at that site) to serial radios and all my IT headaches there went away. The XetaWave 4EL were much better but at $1600 apiece and still had a few hassles, one of which required me to drive around for two hours and power cycle every node (16 of them), so if I had that project to do over, I would have used serial there too.

The one radio modem with Ethernet that I really loved was the Phoenix TWE and they yanked the rug out from under us with that product (at least the BUS version with built in I/O which awesome for our world).

Firejo,

No experience with this module but this technote covers some of the things you first mentioned...

ID: IN7051 | Access Levels: TechConnect
5069-Serial FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

I do remember reading somewhere late last year how they accidentally released some of these modules too early for general sale with firmware 2.xxx on board. Too early because the newer AOP wasn't ready yet.

Go Rockwell!

Regards,
George

RSLinx would identify it with the correct firmware (2.011) but Studio 5000 would not. That required an AOP to be installed.

... that AOP was not as easy to find as I would have expected. It's not on the firmware page and not in AOP list. Why the frak it's not simply listed with the FW is a mystery.