Dayvieboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Inductive Automation Ignition unable to trend small numbers
Trending stops working below 5e -9
. 5e -9 = 0.000000005
We are operating in Ultra High Vacuum down to 5e -11
. 5e-11 = 0.00000000005
Small numbers display on the Ignition SCADA OK GUI
Small numbers logs fine in the Ignition SQL server (We can export and trend in excel)
Ignition has been working on it for months and has no solution
Ignition did not build the trend app, it is 3rd party
It is critical that we have this trend working on the SCADA GUI.
I am being told to throw out $ 45,000 in Inductive licenses,
a few thousand hours of programming time & find software that works...
Any Ideas to fix Ignition?
Or possibly using a 3rd party overlay?
🔨

It is critical that we have this trend working on the SCADA GUI.

-> https://support.inductiveautomation.com/

Support is free even without a contract, but might be email only.

Full support (i.e. you can phone them) is free for a certain period after it has been paid for (the license paid for, if you opted for no support, you still get support for x days).

https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/

If it is so urgent, try the IA forum. Note is isn't an official support channel, it is ran by volunteers. But even some non-IA staff are VERY knowledgeable about the platform.

Last edited:
-> https://support.inductiveautomation.com/

Support is free even without a contract, but might be email only.

Full support (i.e. you can phone them) is free for a certain period after it has been paid for (the license paid for, if you opted for no support, you still get support for x days).

https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/

If it is so urgent, try the IA forum. Note is isn't an official support channel, it is ran by volunteers. But even some non-IA staff are VERY knowledgeable about the platform.

+1, why post here??

I would divide the number by 1000 or something using scaling on the tag and then represent it as whatever the unit is /1000

Have you gone back to that vendor?

I think he means that Ignition uses JFreeCharts for the trend components. He should post this on the Ignition forum though, just to get some other opinions, there are alot of pieces available thru scripting that Ignition doesnt support but can possibly fix his issue.

Here's a quick test screen I put together. Not sure what exactly you need your charts to look like, but I get a usable trend line without too much trouble. I was using a classic chart. The easy chart might need slightly different configuration, but the classic chart is easier to connect to table data like this, so that's what I used.

Code to set the tick units:
Code:
trend = event.source.parent.getComponent('Chart')
from org.jfree.chart.axis import NumberTickUnit
 trend.getChart().getXYPlot().getRangeAxis().setTickUnit(NumberTickUnit(0.00000000001))
Link to page explaining NumberTickUnit options.

I also set the Y-Axis options:
Auto Range Min Size = 1E-10

Number Format Override = 0.000000000000000000

Other than that, the classic chart is at its default settings. The table was changed to display enough digits to start to see some numbers too, but that doesn't affect the chart.

small number trend.PNG

Last edited:
If you already posted on the IA forum, please link here.

If you want me to run some tests please give a sample dataset in CSV file.

+1, why post here??

Because it is a familiar forum that I have used for many years,
even before becoming a member.
I enjoy this web site and get great responses
Just look at them :)

We have also been working with Ignition directly for months on this &
I really did not know about the inductive forums until now.

Thanks,

Dave

.5e-9 is pretty close to 1/(2e9), and 2e9 is near the non-negative range of a 32-bit integer (2147483647).

Sounds suspicious to me. Do floating-point numbers at 0.1e-9 steps between 0.5e-9 and 1e-9 each plot on one of two levels?

It's hard to believe, but if that is the case then this behavior may be a fundamental property, and limitation, of that 3rd party software.

Perhaps it's stating the obvious, but couldn't you transform all values via multiplication by 1e9 before sending them to the trend, and say the plot is in nanoPascal (or picobar or attoWhatever)?