monitor voltage up to 4160VAC

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've been tasked with a project where we need to monitor the voltage and display it on an HMI and use it for data reporting.

This is on a test stand where the output voltage can be any where from 120 to 4160.

This is on an old machine and currently it has wires that jump off the main output terminals of the test stand and go through and old resistor board (haven't spent much time figuring out what exactly this consists of) and goes into an old Red Lion voltage meter on a 0-300V input.

We would like to replace the old resistor board (if possible). And use a voltage sensor/transducer to give an analog input to the plc so we know what the 3PH output voltage is.

Any recommendations on the best/safest way to do this? What devices would you recommend?

It is all AC. A transformer would be a good option if I can find a small 4160 to 480 transformer.

Thanks for your replies. These are some good options. The smallest transformer danw linked to is pretty big for what I need, but it is definitely a start in the right direction

if you know of a local transformer manufacturer locally you can get a custom made one, as its for indication only the VA rating is small and hence it can be made small. its a simple request for a manufacturer and have had this done a few times over the years in Australia. this way you can specify exactly what you want and get maximum accuracy.

i suggest you get 2 made so you have a spare for future.