Displaying trends from OPC-UA server on the factory floor

ggc

Looking for an OPC-Client that can be used for logging data and displaying trends on a display on the factory floor.
Ideally a Redlion PTv with OPC client functionality, but seeing as such a device doesn't exist, I'm open to other ideas.
Additional info:
Machine in question has 4 * Lenze servo motors that are controlled via CanBus. Using the Lenze Easy Starter software on a PC installed in the cabinet I can setup an OPC-UA server to display any of the drive parameters.
From there it's easy enough to utilise a software based OPC client logger to capture motor data during operation, but we are also looking for a visual means (trends of motor temp/current usage) for the operators to identify if there is a load imbalance between the 4 motors.
I've read a few comments in the forum that the Weintek range has OPC-UA client functionality, but I'm still waiting for the local rep to confirm, and looking at the Weintek software I can only see options to setup as an OPC-UA server.
At this stage an OPC bridge software package to go between the Lenze OPC-UA server and OPC-UA server in a Crimson 3.1 Redlion (already have a large number of redlion products on site) product is also looking like an option, but in this age of IIOT/Factory 4.0 marketing hype it feels like a kludgy solution.
Any other suggestions? Maybe a software based OPC-UA client trend+logger running on the PC in the cabinet, with a standard monitor mounted outside.

In case anyone is going down a similar path, it looks like the Crimson 3.1 software has recently been enhanced to enable the newer Red lion products to act as both an OPC-UA client and/or server.

In case anyone is going down a similar path, it looks like the Crimson 3.1 software has recently been enhanced to enable the newer Red lion products to act as both an OPC-UA client and/or server.

This is handy to know. Red Lion make some awesome products. Great that they are expanding the functionality of Crimson 3.1 to include these newer protocols like OPC-UA and also the IoT focused MQTT.

Another cheap / ghetto option could be to use a Raspberry Pi running Node Red and the dashboard package. Displays a simple web-based dashboard and you have HDMI out on the RPi.

It can literally talk to anything (OPC-UA, MQTT, Ethernet/IP, S7 TCP, Modbus RTU / TCP, TCP/UDP sockets, HTTP/JSON).

Check out this YouTube video for an example Open Source SCADA: Node-RED, OPC UA & MySQL on Raspberry Pi

Note: I usually wouldn't recommend an RPi in industrial applications, and I definitely wouldn't use it for SCADA, but if it is a simple and non-critical dashboard then I think it is acceptable.

Last edited:
Another cheap / ghetto option could be to use a Raspberry Pi running Node Red and the dashboard package.

That is what we did at work to monitor the PV system on the roof of our production facility. Non-critical indeed, MQTT from a PLC to Node-Red on the Pi.

Cheap yes, but ghetto?
I can deploy a RPi with a node-red Dashboard way faster than any HMI. I agree, critical applications should not be run on a RPi. But node-red itself is powerful. For quick, free, and full of features you can’t beat it. I’d much rather deploy node-red than any “HMI”.

Cheap yes, but ghetto?
I can deploy a RPi with a node-red Dashboard way faster than any HMI. I agree, critical applications should not be run on a RPi. But node-red itself is powerful. For quick, free, and full of features you can’t beat it. I’d much rather deploy node-red than any “HMI”.

Perhaps ghetto is not the correct term, it was said in jest.

What I meant by this is that the Raspberry Pi w/ Node Red is more of a 'roll your own' solution rather than an 'out of the box' solution like an industrial gateway type product like a Red Lion Data Station would be.

If money were no object I would choose the Red Lion Data Station all day every day. It is a purpose designed product rated for industrial environments that can support MQTT, OPC-UA and much more, as well as having an inbuilt web server HMI. No custom packages to install, no custom scripting or modules, fully documented with user manuals and manufacturer support.

In saying that, would I still use the Raspberry Pi solution if it was for the right application? You bet I would. But it comes down to not just cost, but also on-going support and ease of maintenance. If the RPi solution falls over one day and I get hit by a bus, they are going to have a hard time getting support to get everything up and running again. The Data Station on the other hand? Just give Red Lion a call and they will give you the name of an integrator that could be out there within a day.

Horses for courses.

Totally agree sir. By the way, thank you for mentioning the Red Lion Data Station. I did not know such a thing existed and would definitely put it up instead of a RPi.