Cellular and Wireless Temp Alarm

Snyd1

Guys I am seeking a solution for wireless temperature readings from multiple locations to a main PLC/HMI of sorts that will send email/text alarms via cellular network. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions. Distance from each temperature reading to the main setup is under 1000' probably closer to 6-800 with los.

If I can get away from using msg instructions that would be ideal (y)

Does the main PLC/HMI already exist?

How many locations?

How many temperature readings (total and/or per location)?

What temperature range?

Why no MSG instructions?

I'm a big fan of Banner's wireless radios for communication with los. Will the sensors be connected to a local PLC or are you basically asking for remote IO?

If your looking at 600-800 feet with LOS, (Ubiquiti - would easily do that and at a cost of $159.00 each. )

I used the Nanobridge M900 all over the oilfields, have them installed at over 4500' feet going through about 1000' feet of dense trees. Going on 3 years now and not a single signal loss.

Very easy to setup and install.

Thanks for the replies all.

Some notes.

The PLC/HMI does not exist, current scope is only 4 locations with ambient temp for each enclosure so 1 sensor each this does not exist either. Would like this to be expandable for locations, I do not foresee more inputs needed.

What I am currently looking at. Micro 820 processor, Banner DX80P9T6S-P Gateway and DX80N9X2S-P3 Nodes some random type J thermocouple for sensor. The Banner node gives me some extra to work with 2 discrete inputs and 4 thermocouple inputs which is okay. Still up in the air over 900 vs 2.4.

Not sure about the cost on Banner stuff for gateway and 4 nodes that's over $3000 seems they are awfully proud of their product.

Still running through the options for cellular/GSM modem to use with the 820 processor. Still open to suggestions though.

Still running through the options for cellular/GSM modem to use with the 820 processor. Still open to suggestions though.

The StrideLinx with cellular connectivity is a decent option with a good VPN client. Another option would be a cradlepoint if you want more configurability and have less connections.

You should have a look here.
https://store.ncd.io/shop/

If all your wanting to do is get the sensor information back to base, all you really need is one of these wireless sensors connected to a bridge.

I have seen units similar to this at Omega, guess the trouble I am having wrapping my head around is how these will communicate with a PLC or something to send the SMS alarms out. Unsure how the banner and 820 setup will handle that now that I think about it more.. I think you can add the banner gateway as a misc ethernet device on a compactlogix but not sure that is available in CCW for the 820.

With such short distances, I would consider Nanostations, simpler, smaller and cheaper than the Nanobridge. Put Click PLCs at each site with 4-20mA analog input modules and use signal converters for your temp sensors. If you like the 820, then use that instead of the Click. If it supports messaging over Ethernet, you should be able to use it with the Ubiquiti wireless gear to collect all the data at the main PLC that will connect to the cellular network.

If this is for alarm notifications, you might also want to stick a CR3000 HMI at the master so that you have a window into the system and a very flexible means of generating alarms and sending them to run-time configurable recipients.

In general, I like my analogs to be separate modules, but the stuff I deal with is often tower level sensors (pressure transmitters) that get hit by lightning, so swapping out a fried analog input card is easier than replacing a PLC with built in analogs. I used several of the ProSense RTDs with plug-in transmitters and they are very installer friendly and not much more money than doing it the old fashioned way.

I also like the StrideLinx VPN units. I have 5 in the field now, and one of them is the Wifi model. I have not used their 4G model, but I believe it only works with AT&T.

Last edited:
I also like the StrideLinx VPN units. I have 5 in the field now, and one of them is the Wifi model. I have not used their 4G model, but I believe it only works with AT&T.

I spoke with an AD rep on this because we only use Verizon , and he said customers have had success with various M2M sim cards. The only one that is supported by AD is AT&T, but pretty much any provider will work.

With such short distances, I would consider Nanostations, simpler, smaller and cheaper than the Nanobridge. Put Click PLCs at each site with 4-20mA analog input modules and use signal converters for your temp sensors. If you like the 820, then use that instead of the Click. If it supports messaging over Ethernet, you should be able to use it with the Ubiquiti wireless gear to collect all the data at the main PLC that will connect to the cellular network.

If this is for alarm notifications, you might also want to stick a CR3000 HMI at the master so that you have a window into the system and a very flexible means of generating alarms and sending them to run-time configurable recipients.

In general, I like my analogs to be separate modules, but the stuff I deal with is often tower level sensors (pressure transmitters) that get hit by lightning, so swapping out a fried analog input card is easier than replacing a PLC with built in analogs. I used several of the ProSense RTDs with plug-in transmitters and they are very installer friendly and not much more money than doing it the old fashioned way.

I actually still have a CR3000 sitting at my desk that I was going to use for a previous project. Ideally I would like a solution that does not require a PLC for each location as I really just need a single temperature reading, also space is well...there is none so there is that.

Came across this in earlier searches and apparently did'nt read enough but it might do the job w/o need for a PLC anywhere. Have to look into it a little more in depth as there will not be a PC available but as long as it can send the alarms over the cellular modem I might be in business.

https://www.omega.com/pptst/ZW-REC.html

If you are going to use the cr300 as your polling engine, I believe it supports adam protocol for 4000 series units

https://www.newark.com/advantech/ad...QYASABEgJWOPD_BwE&CAWELAID=120185550001111191

you will need to double check to make sure it will work.

You would then just need some serial radios to link it all up. I would go with freewave fgr2-c-u but there are many different vendors in that space.

You could also do a click for probably less than $250 dollars

Last edited:
Here, since I accidentally posted this on the thanksgiving thread:

https://www.alliedelec.com/sixnet/

I'm looking at using some of the sixnet cellular routers on that list. I found one, can't remember which, that had cellular sms alarms and you could program how they functioned in C/C++ and I'm thinking Java too. Many certified and network agnostic models too. I was quite impressed. They also offer models with wireless. Might be something you want to check out.