CAN messages J1939 using Beckhoff CANopen terminal?

g.mccormick

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know much about CAN communications? I potentially have a need to get data from CAN based NOx and NH3 sensors (these are typically used on diesel engines). I need to get data in, do minimum logic with it, then stream the data out on a RS232 serial device to a third party device.
Beckhoff has a CANOpen terminal and it sorta mentions a bit about general CAN messages and built in protocol implementation.

https://www.beckhoff.com/EL6751/

Anyone have thoughts?

I wrote a J1587 parameter decoder for a company recently. J1587 is an older protocol with a lot fewer parameters than J1939 but similar. J1939 uses a PGN/SPN Parameter Group Number/ Suspect Parameter Number format. This data comes in from the engine diagnostics port. CAN bus is just the carrier. You will most likely need an adapter with the correct wiring harness to get the protocol converted to a bytestream. The setup I had was a laptop running my C# app with a commercially available adapter connected through USB to the laptop. The other end going to the engine diagnostics port. The data comes in as a byte stream and you will have to identify the PGN/SPN numbers. Also does that particular engine make those data available? The data you get comes from a central controller such as the ECU. The database for J1939 parameters is at least 18000 rows of data.

I worked in the well fracturing business for a while and we used an adapter from Monico that would inject J1939 data directly into Siemens S7 data tables, so there are options available. Hope that helps.

https://www.monicoinc.com/protocol-converters/j1939-engine-monitoring

Last edited:
That's a CANOpen module rather than J1939; it's not going to help.
I use Beijer X2 Hmi as a J1939 'listening' device.
It has enough intelligence to condition/pass on data itself, or the built-in Codesys PLC will certainly give you enough to play with.
Pp

For my application, it would only be 3 sensors worth of messages, not a whole ECM worth.

Beckhoff says that they EL6751 and/or CX8050 can be used for J1939 messages.

#######################
Yes it is possible to use the EL6751 and/or CX8050 to communicate to a J1939 device. CX8051 will not work.
To communicate to a J1939 device, use our “CAN Interface” or raw can mode with our CANopen master in TwinCAT.

You can use our EL6002 with our “serial communication” PLC library for RS232 communication.
#############################