Logix 5000 and serial port reading

JoeM1

Hello,
I need to read a serial port. The serial port in question would be on a pressure gauge and would be read by a Logix 5000 CPU with a integrated serial port.
The directions are as follows: The first two numbers are the address of the device and all the responses are 13 characters long.
the commands would all start with a #
The responses would all start with a *

The command would be:
#01RD<CR>

And the response would be:
*01_7.60E+02<CR>

I am hoping that somebody could show some sample code on how to accomplish sending commands and receiving responses.

Thanks

There are ascii commands. Then store the string into string tag. Use the other ascii commands to manipulate tem as needed. See the help files.

Back in the days I worked a lot with ASCII serial. What I would suggest is that you divide the work into 2 portions. Use a PC/laptop in the middle to work out the ASCII sequence using hyperterminal or putty.

- Start with PC, connect to pressure gauge then figure out the correct ASCII command to get the desired return.

- then, use the PC connect to the PLC and work the PLC code to send out the correct ASCII command per the 1st step.

you get the idea.