ControlLogix 5500 Losing Program

All,

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. At this point I have a new L71 processor, and the latest version of Logix 5000. I am having trouble getting the firmware to install.

When I power up the new processor, it shows F/W version 1.010 and then says "Firmware Installation Required". I downloaded the latest from the AB site (v 31.011) and I am attempting to update it with ControlFlash 15.01.00.

Attachments show the Summary, the immediate error I get, and log file. I am trying this with an empty chassis (power supply and processor only) via USB cable.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG

Attachments

• log.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Disregard the last post. I got it to take the new firmware finally.

I'm not certain it's the only thing that worked, but I'm pretty sure after I rebooted the computer, it flashed fine.

"Have you tried turning it off and back on?":rolleyes:

Good stuff.

Just so you know - the out-of-the-box firmware revision for new Logix processors (1.xxx) is simply the boot code revision. It's not an operational revision and you must flash it something usable, as you've sucessfully done.

That L55 is pretty much an antique so I wouldn't just chuck it, unless your not as nostalgic as some of us and you'd prefer to quietly take it out back and "fix it", with a 2lb hammer. 🔨

G.

Geospark said:
beethoven_ii said:
I did an installation nearly 10 years ago where we had this problem with version 16 firmware 1756-L55 ControlLogix PLC's. Certain plc's would periodically clear the memory to protect themselves after detecting a fault. After a lot of searching for info and speaking to Rockwell I'm sure it was resolved by installing some patch coding which after looking at it again must have been provided by Rockwell.

Geospark said:
If it's the same PSA I'm thinking of, it was actually at firmware revision 15.03 or 15.04. Flash upgrading to firmware revision 15.05 resolved the issue.

Until the flash could be performed, Rockwell provided a temporary patch to prevent the controller diagnostics check on the firmware image after it is loaded from flash into RAM. I think this is what you are referring to? It was to be only executed once during first scan...

(See "Prevention" - Option "3.")

35190 - 1756-L55 and 1794-L34 Controllers at revision 15 firmware can generate a non-recoverable major fault and lose memory
Access Level: TechConnect

If the 1756-L55 in question here is at firmware revision 16 then I don't think that PSA is the likely cause here?

Hi beethoven_ii,

I wanted to retract my statement/thinking above and apologise for half dismissing your suggestion. It's important the correct information is provided here, so...

It turns out (via another thread - Controller 1756-L55/A series) that yours wasn't the PSA I was thinking of and there was/is in fact a similar PSA for a similar issue for revision 16 as the revision 15 issue that I suggested you were thinking of.

I went looking again today for a revision 16 PSA after another Forum member had also suggested it as possible in that other recent thread which also involves a revision 16 1756-L55 periodically clearing its memory. I had searched for something like this the last day you had mentioned it but for some reason I did not find it?

But today I found this...

43553 - 1756-L55 and 1794-L34 at certain V16 revisions will non-recoverable major fault
Access Level: Everyone

"......1756-L55 and 1794-L34 Controllers at certain revisions will non-recoverable major fault and lose memory. This will occur after approximately 3 to 6 months..."

The latest firmware revision 16.023 is the only revision 16 firmware available for download for these controllers. But it includes the Corrected Anomaly for this issue that was fixed at revision 16.021.

Regards,
George

Hi George,

The 1756-L55 controllers were installed at version 16.20 back in 2008 which is when we were having the problem. I left the company I was working for in 2009 before the issue was fully resolved but have since been supporting the site again and have seen the patch coding that was put in place to prevent the clearing of the memory. Some time after this the firmware has been updated to 16.21 on all of the CPU's that were installed at that time and they've not had any problems since.

That's good to know (that the firmware update fixed those controllers) but do you know if they removed the patch code after they flashed the firmware? You are supposed to remove it as it prevents an otherwise important check of the firmware image when it's first loaded from flash to RAM at boot up.

Rockwell said:
(from r16 anomaly technote)

...These are meant to be temporary solutions until the new firmware is released and customers can flash the controllers...

(and from the r15 anomaly technote)

...Once a customer has upgraded the firmware in the controller they should remove this code. The code does protect it from executing if it is loaded into a controller that is not at the effect firmware revisions...

G.