Data Logging Issue

colemaj1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, using FTV 9 in a distributed network. I have a project that logs a pretty good bit of data and has lots of trends.

I noticed every now and then I started seeing the 'Loading Historical Data Files...' popup window on my clients every now and then, and especially when network is slow. It seems like if I make a mistake on entering a trend tag name, the popup gets really bad, sometimes makes FTV unusable until I correct the tag name to match whats in the datalog. I'm using file datalogs currently.

The other day, I was doing some work on my trends and datalogs, and all of the sudden, now the popup is just about constant making the HMI very hard to use. I've double checked all my tags and everything looks good.

1. I see people taking about deleting log files for possible corruption, and I know where they are, but do I delete all the files in the specific datalog folder that I'm working with, or just certain files?

2. Changing Log Path - if I change log file path, would this have the same effect as deleting the log files? I don't mind loosing my data if I can solve the popup window problem.

3. I've thought about switching all my datalogs to SQL where my alarms are being logged, but I'm not sure that will solve the problem, because whatever happened seemed to happen really quick and when I was making changes. It wasn't a gradual change.

4. Any other tips on how to troubleshoot this problem?

Last edited:
Ok really weird - I've been battling this issue for 3 days now, and this morning without any changes it decides to subside. The pop up window is gone. I don't know how the internals of the datalogging works but I'm guessing maybe when I swapped out some tags on some trends the other day, it had to re-write some files or catch up somehow. I'll take it.

Several things come to mind.

we have 2 networks here on our switches. the plant side and management side. so here are my thoughts.

1. can management see your system or is it separate ?
2. if management can see the system, they might be looking at the pc and files.
3. someone might have an identical ip address by mistake causing an issue.
4. you may be creating a circular loop in your trend charts.
5. if the system is on the same network at management / everyone else, someone may be downloading a lot of files on the internet, it happened here on the management side.
6. can someone from the outside see the system? you may have been hacked.
7. someone may be using a sniffer program to search the network, we had that happen here and it caused massive issues.
8. you may have a virus on the system that is timed to replicate at specific intervals, that happened here.

I hope this helps,
james

Found it

Thanks James, it ended up being some tags were not entered correctly in the datalog setup. I wish FTV was smart enough to tell us which ones it's having trouble with. If that info was logged in a log file would saved me tons of time.