Network cABLE LENGTH ?

milmat1

I understand that 10/100 Ethernet recommends a max cable run of 100M (328ft).

With something like industrial Ethernet IP, Does this still hold true ?
And how do I extend this cable run say to 400- 500' ?

I understand that 10/100 Ethernet recommends a max cable run of 100M (328ft).

With something like industrial Ethernet IP, Does this still hold true ?
And how do I extend this cable run say to 400- 500' ?

That is definitely the standard, and still holds true. The physics of an Ethernet cable are the same, regardless of what protocol you run. There are two main options to extend:

1) use fiber instead of copper. Fiber can go for km.

2) Put a switch in the middle. The distance that matters is the length of the cable itself, not the overall size of the network. Note that this counts "powered" ports, like a switch, PLC, HMI, etc, not "unpowered" ports like a bulkhead connector.

That is definitely the standard, and still holds true. .

But dont push it... my shop is about 300ft from my warehouse and I have a switch and each end as soon as they enter the buildings and I have issues, I can not put a switch in the middle

It may be a bit of overkill, but you can look into Ubiquiti Nanostation Locos. They will run around $50 a piece, and let you transmit up to 2 miles. Very simple to set up.

I used a set of these to bypass a run of fiber that had broke. Client didnt want to spend the money to fix it.

You could extend the length but the data rat will slow down and error rate will go up. Why not install an ethernet extender and eliminate the problem

+1 for the Nanostations, as long as it is not I/O data. We have quite a few Nanostations at various places for inter-PLC messaging and have almost zero trouble out of them. A side benefit is being able to go online with programming software wirelessly.

All Great replies, Thank You..

So if I add a switch, I can treat it as a repeater / extender ?

Also, I can switch over to fiber for the longer main backbone, so to speak..

You can... But this does add another point of failure and consider if your future self will hate you for it.

Fiber good.

Definitely recommend fiber for the backbone, as it will often futureproof you for high speed (gig, etc) requirements down the road. As a side benefit, it is basically immune to noise, and there is pretty much no possibility of any kind of electrical ground loop.

Yes, a switch is basically a repeater, with the added bonus that if you use multiple ports, it will limit most traffic to only go where required. I've never looked, but there are probably "ethernet extenders" out there which are simply a switch with only 2 ports.

milmat1 said:

Yes, a switch is basically a repeater, with the added bonus that if you use multiple ports, it will limit most traffic to only go where required. I've never looked, but there are probably "ethernet extenders" out there which are simply a switch with only 2 ports.

And get a quality switch, dont go cheap... Cisco or another good quality brand, they have managed or unmanaged switches

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/index.html

I'm sure somewhere there are conditions listed for those 100 meters and it's not running alongside a bunch of industrial motors and assorted high powered stuff.

Although shielded grounded Ethernet cable does help a lot