Produced/Consumed Over two 1783-NATR

scarince

Lifetime Supporting Member
This is supposed to be possible, as there is a TechConnect document that describes this, but I cannot get past "I/O Not Responding". There must be a problem in my config.

I setup a benchtop setup to troubleshoot this. I attached a layout.

I'm running v.24 in the L16ER and v.20 in the L23E. I can see both controllers in Linx on the public side. I have defined the gateway for each controller to be the private address of the NAT device.

KB document 731361 says "When consuming on the public side, the producer should be referenced as its translated IP address in the I/O tree" but in my case there really is no "Public" side since both plc's are on the private side of their respective NAT devices.

KB document 908605 talks about this very application, but their module properties document shows and "Advanced...." button for advanced ethernet settings. I don't see that for either of my controllers. Is that my limitation?

Has anyone done this before?

B.

Well, I got it to work.

I started with the controllers on the same network and got comms established. Then I put one of them behind a NAT and confirmed it work. Then finally the other one behind the other NAT, and it worked.

I must have had some error along the way.

One thing that's interesting to me is that if you look at the Module Configuration in Linx and you look at the Port Configuration tab, there's a note that appears that tells you the address is being NAT'd. I'm sure someone who understand Linx would know how this works, but Linx clearly seems to understand that NAT is in play.

Also, the "Advanced Ethernet Settings" button mentioned in the tech docs doesn't seem to be necessary in my application. It just works.

B.