Windows Installer Issue

nehpets

Hi all,
I've just started to have an issue with Windows Installer.
When I try to open RSlogix500 (V8.4) or RSLogix5000 (but not Studio5000) The programs no longer open but I get a pop up Windows Installer dialog box telling me that it's preparing to install, it will sit there forever and a day until I try to cancel it, it then displays cancelling but again just sits there doing nothing with my only recourse to open task manager and end task. I have tried uninstalling RSLogix and reinstalling but it remains the same. I'm running under Windows 10 but up until now I've had no issues.

Has anyone any Ideas or remedies? as it's driving me to distraction.

Thanks
Steve

Try running as an 'Administrator' (from memory right click, runas administrator)

You nailed it, I can't believe I didn't think of it, all my shortcuts are set to run as administrator, I've no idea why the RSLogix shortcuts appear to have lost this setting.

Thanks
Steve

nehpets said:
You nailed it, I can't believe I didn't think of it, all my shortcuts are set to run as administrator, I've no idea why the RSLogix shortcuts appear to have lost this setting.

Note, when applying the "Run as administrator" option to your "shortcuts", the "shortcuts" should not actually be "shortcuts". They should be a "copy" of the executable files (*.exe). That is, the "Run as administrator" option may not work when applied to a "shortcut" to an executable file. Rockwell advise that this option is always applied to the actual software version executable. If you want a "shortcut" on the Desktop then "copy" the executable there, applying said option.

Your "shortcuts" may already be actually "copies", but I couldn't be sure from the above. If your good to go then you can ignore me. It's still no harm to put this info out there as it may prove useful to other readers not so aware.

Regards,
George

It would appear I was a little premature in my eureaka moment. I can now open the RSLogix software but RSLinx doesn't want to play (V3.6), it opens ok but the pesky windows installer still appears doing nothing. I've tried copying the Executable file to the desktop but it's still the same even though its set to run as administrator.

I have a copy running on a windows7 virtual machine with no problems.

Regards
Steve

several things come to mind.

1 - your profile has gotten corrupted. try logging in as some other user and see what happens.

2 - I have seen this issue with Microsoft office. we reinstalled the logix 500 software.

3 - run checkdisk tool and scan for errors. do a cold reboot afterwards.

james

Had the same problem. Had RSLogix 5 and 500 installed. After installing Logix 5 every time I opened 500 the setup for 5 would start and hang. Finally copied the Logix 5 installation to a folder on the PC and pointed the installation to it. Opened 500, Logix 5 installation ran one time and solved the problem.
Something got corrupted with the installation file paths in the registry so windows wanted to reinstall the software. I remember finding a easier solution later but drawing a blank on what it was.

Sadly this can be the quickest fix with some Rockwell Software installations. Their Tech Support has actually suggested this as a last resort with past RSLinx Classic problems.

Waiting for the day when someone finally starts moving their PLC soft to Linux. Not perfect but better than being charged for features you don't want shoved on you.
( The new MSWin GUI is sooo much better. You're just stupid to realize it. We'll even monitor your info because we know what's best for you.)