Current Driver for Small DC motor

rwatson

Hi!
I currently have a setup where I have a brushless DC motor that I use to provide a variable amount of resistance/tension to a part which is moved by hand. At the moment, I have an amplifier board that I made myself from discrete electronic components which basically takes a -10 to 10V analog input and outputs -3.5A to 3.5A into the motor. This does the job and I have never had any problems with it, but it would be good to know if there was an industrially hardened product out there that is DIN rail mountable and does the same thing.

I have seen some DC motor servo drives that can be used in torque mode, which would probably work, but I don't want to spend money on a servo that has position control/torque control etc, when all I really want to do is put out a linear -3.5A to 3.5A. It doesn't even need to have particularly good resolution or accuracy as the torque felt by the operator is pretty subjective.

I probably should have mentioned that my supply voltage is 24V. The stuff on sparkfun would probably be alright, but my main concern with what I'm using at the moment is that it doesn't really look like it belongs in an industrial control panel.